Upload MSG file from Outlook leads to "Unnamed file"

Problem solved

I entered in the source web form that all files must always be extracted. I suspected that mayan tried to extract my MSG files as an archive first and of course this fails. So I have changed the source from exttracting files “always” to “always ask”. The upload of MSG files now works again.

Hello,

every time I upload a msg file from MS Outlook I get an empty document in mayan edms version 4.5.8 (docker installation). I see an entry in files section and can download the file. But the downloaded file has 0 bytes.

Does anybody know whats going wrong here?
The logs do not show any Error messages.

BR, Joerg

Does this happen with any .MSG file?

Seems to indicate a size of 0 bytes.

Can you check is the extract-msg dependency is being detected correctly?

Is this Mayan version 2.5.8 or 4.5.8?

Dear Roberto,

Thank you very much for your support.

Does this happen with any .MSG file?

I tested with 8 different msg files. If the file has an attachment (pdf), two documents are generated. Both with „unnamed file“ and empty.

Seems to indicate a size of 0 bytes.

The file stored by Mayan has zero bytes. I looked inside the storage folder.

Can you check is the extract-msg dependency is being detected correctly?

I don’t know how to do this, but I will google and try :wink:
I found this…

root@3d8b91cc5046:/opt/mayan-edms/bin# ./pip freeze | grep extra
extract-msg==0.37.1

Is this Mayan version 2.5.8 or 4.5.8?

Correct :+1:

BR, Joerg

Hello everyone,

I have now found that the extract-msg module has been correctly installed.

Output from the app container:

root@3d8b91cc5046:/opt/mayan-edms/bin# ./pip freeze | grep extra
extract-msg==0.37.1

And here the screenshot from mayan-depedencys

I also tested the function of the module with a .msg file.

root@3d8b91cc5046:/var/lib/mayan# /opt/mayan-edms/bin/extract_msg message-1-10.msg

The command creates the directory “2023-09-10_1508 Einladung Andacht an der Kreuzanlage am 17.09.2023, 1700 Uhr”. It contains a single file message.txt.

Dear Roberto, if necessary I can provide you with the MSG file.

BR, Joerg

Addendum
I have just discovered something new. I am currently only using the web form as a source (#/sources/sources/documents/wizard/). If I now create a document with a MSG file (I get a new document “unnamed file”) and then I add the same file again under Files of the neu document. The MSG file is read correctly. Very strange. But now I have found a workaround with which I can continue working :slight_smile:

It looks like

Problem solved

I just happened to see that I had entered in the source web form that all files must always be extracted. I suspect that mayan tried to extract my MSG files as an archive first. Of course this fails. I have now changed the source from always to always ask. Now the upload of MSG files works. Yuppie!!!

Hi Roberto,

I mention that there may be a list of exclusive files wich gets never decompressed. Is there some exclusion list in the code of Mayan?

If this is the case, the list should contain the msg extension. The „bug“ can easily be reproduced by setting the flag „decompress files“ in the upload web form and then add some msg files in the drop zone.

Br, Jörg

This is now fixed in version 4.5.11 and 4.6.3.

Thanks for the report.

https://docs.mayan-edms.com/releases/4.5.11.html

https://docs.mayan-edms.com/releases/4.6.3.html

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 4 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.