Purpose of ACL for tags, cabinets etc

Hi there,
I would like to know the use of ACL to Tags, cabinets groups etc

If document types are the basic unit of Mayan, and any other ACL (tags, cabinets etc) does not affect the Document type level permission, why have it in the first place.
Im new to Mayan EDMS, I feel that it is a very powerful and feature rich application. But i cannot understand some of the concepts as im new to role based systems. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

Hi,

If document types are the basic unit of Mayan, and any other ACL (tags, cabinets etc) does not affect the Document type level permission, why have it in the first place.

To control the access control of the tags, cabinets, etc itself independently from the access of the documents.

This way you may share access to a document with two groups of users. One group can view the documents and the other can view the documents but also the tags.

Non document object ACL also allow removing access to a specific object without having to remove access to that object from all documents that may contain it in a single action, such as a metadata type which suddenly needs to be hidden from all documents or from a group of users while preserving the document view permission.

As far as we’ve seen, this feature is unique to Mayan EDMS and might be the reason for the confusion with new users. But once you realize the power of the ACL mechanism, you can program almost any possible conceivable access control scheme your organization may require.

Im new to Mayan EDMS, I feel that it is a very powerful and feature rich application. But i cannot understand some of the concepts as im new to role based systems. Any help is appreciated.

Start with these relevant Knowledge Base articles for more information:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.