Posible company 10XTS stealing Mayan EDMS

Heads up looks like this company is selling Mayan EDMS as if it is their product by the name of XDEX Pro. It appears that they removed all branding. There is no mention that their product is based or uses Mayan EDMS or even any open source software.

https://archive.is/qn73S

To add insult to injury they even got two development grants from Microsoft totaling $145K USD!

https://archive.is/EuEpp

I’m guessing the Mayan team didn’t received a single dime of that money.

Their SEC fillings for funding → ://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1743861/000174386119000002/ExhibitA-1.pdf

Also their CEO thinks he is the next Steve Jobs! :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s wild! I think the license permits them to sell a customized version of Mayan, but they have to distribute the source code and be transparent about their modifications. It is possible that they actually adhere to the license when someone buys their offering, but I would be surprised if that were the case.

Maybe there were just ripping off Microsoft all along.

1 Like

Hey guys, Steve Jobs here… errr no, not even.

I’m the CEO of 10XTS. We don’t “steal” from anyone.

We use Mayan internally for document management for our chain-based oracle solution for regulated digital assets, which essentially makes document artifacts from any EDMS source, including Sharepoint, Dropbox, et al available to the smart contract as an oracle connector layer. That being said, we also recommend Mayan as an independent EDMS solution for compliance officers, etc… who don’t otherwise have any OOTB solution specific for securities or regulated digital asset compliance records. Our goal is the portability of GRC records across a network to maintain provenance and provability of the record, regardless of originating source. In essence, our goal is to make regulated digital assets compliant within regulatory jurisprudence.

Yes, early on we got Azure credits for infrastructure from MSFT, but have spent waaay more back with them on the ever increasing costs of Azure over the years, so we’re actually back to AWS for our core.

1 Like

Your quoted usage of “steal” already reveals your mindset towards using other people’s code.

Free software can and is routinely stolen when not distributed according to the license or when the intellectual property laws are not followed. Mayan is free software, think what you may of that. But it is also protected content under US and international copyright laws, your are bound to those even if you don’t agree with them.

Your website does not show how you are complying with Mayan’s copyright either by using as-a-is or as a derivative work (see distribution and sales FAQ entries → FAQ — Mayan EDMS 4.5.5 documentation).

There is no link to download the original source code and the modifications you did to Mayan, both required by the license.

You can distribute your own modules without providing the code, but changes to the original Mayan code need to be disclosed. From the screenshots, it appears you created your own modules (the blockchain interface) but it is also evident you made modifications to Mayan’s original code. The code for the later needs to be available and show the original copyright notice in the app. Not doing so is the literal definition of stealing free software.

MayaN has stolen before and they deal with the experience.

Coder think is ok to copy+paste like github but code is work and legal. You need to follow legal and license.Why look around for problem if open source its easy and understood for many years.

We don’t sell Mayan friend. The old screen shots are from internal usage of our own. We don’t need to provide a link to download code because it’s literally not part of our product stack. Our solution has nothing to do with Mayan, it’s a 100% back-end blockchain oracle data interface that connects with ANY external document repo to ingest the document binaries into a distributed network via our oracle solution that literally has nothing to do with Mayan. The “person” who made this initial claim comes on here and makes accusations that we are stealing Mayan, pulls an old SEC filing from 2019 and proceeds to “investigate” with the presumption that we’re somehow or another “stealing” Mayan. When in fact, we chose an independent EDMS for our own purposes internally as a point of document collection & organization before sending it through our pipes to an Ethereum (or any L1) smart contract. So I get tipped off there was a post here about it, and this is how someone who literally meets the usage definition of Mayan gets treated. I suppose that we can just stop recommending Mayan to clients since we now have Sharepoint, Dropbox, and other EDMS connectors on the back end to extract data from other front end enterprise solutions. I certainly don’t want anyone I’m associated with being eviscerated unjustly by this “community” who can’t seem to follow the fundamental rules.

• Be kind to your fellow community members.
  • Does your reply improve the conversation?
  • Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas, not people.

Being made fun of because of my personal appearance, et al. Very nice.

For smart devs, some of you sure don’t process logic much. If we had something to hide, why would I spend my time responding at all?

1 Like

The facts stand on their own. The archived link showed a rebranded version of Mayan as XDEX accessing documents from a blockchain style document storage.

Your product may have changed but at a point in time that was the case.

I did not made fun of your appearance. Passing judgement over an entire community from some comments would as passing judgment over all the employees of your company from your comments and responses.

Free source is about collaboration not about keeping your modifications to yourself and then getting defensive. Your are a CEO picking a fight in a forum and throwing a tantrum when challenged, not recommending Mayan anymore as such. Dude, grow up.

This is a mellow community. Try that attitude on Reddit.

Release what you improved, be a part of community and not an antagonist. Why is that so difficult?

Release your changes and improvements. I’m sure @roberto.rosario would post your project as a use case.

Probably endorse it too, looks interesting.

If not, there is no value is a shouting match and the topic should be closed.

1 Like

I posted the original content. I literally just did a Google search and followed the links. It is usually a bad sign when somebody gets upset when you click on public information.

The one thing that we’ve explored that is applicable to Mayan is a potential Auth0 identity services interface for login. In fact, that could be something that we’d be happy to release to the community. Not sure how useful something like that would be to many users, but it’s an interesting alternative to existing SSO.

1 Like

Hey thanks Victor, you seem like a really nice guy with great intentions.

Not your personal appearance, your ego. Which appears to be similar to Elizabeth Holmes’s one.

My ego? Pray tell what prompted you to make that statement in your very first post in the community here? Again, this was your very first post here in the community with clearly the intent to personally denigrate someone you don’t even know. That’s pretty sus in and of itself.

1 Like

I think you have a good product, interfacing Mayan to the blockchain as a document source solves a LOT of problems. It is visionary and as a founder you have rough, need to raise capital and woo investors while wrangling an army of code monkeys.

Any contribution, will be well received. I’ve seen stuff I can’t directly use (like German tax integration) but looking at the code they release brings new ideas for the problem I was tackling at the time. So yeah, on the surface might not appear to be applicable but any innovation is reusable.

1 Like

Touché :slight_smile:

Thanks for the change in energy.

We wrote a auth extension for OneLogin back in version 3.4 and it was tough. Mayan recently added an entire auth pipeline that is a dream to work on. OIDC auth is also included so writing an Auth0 extension on top of that should be less work than it would have been.

2 Likes

We’re boring compliance automation guys who saw the need to create a way to make the provability of the claim that a digital asset or token is actually what someone says it is… a share of stock in a company, a limited partnership unit, etc… as opposed to the free for all cryptocurrency craziness. That starts with the document records, which can be originated from any kind of EDMS depending on the law firm, the compliance officer, etc… But you have to start with some document front-end interface that collects and organizes the artifacts before they’re sent to be hashed and moved across chain. It’s hard to demo a back-end without SOME sort of front-end. In the end, we’re well-versed in open source (we are blockchain folks after all), and we’re simply trying to solve problems for the market (which hasn’t exactly been easy as of late).

Boring is good, boring means business. That’s why we love Mayan, it is boring, filters out weekend code bros. It is not a toy or a side project, it is free software enterprise DMS. The last of its kind. We need it to run our community banks, our latest insurance products would not be possible without Mayan.

Mayan’s creator has built a ton of stuff, even decentralized networks, way before the blockchain, IPFS, etc.

This one got so much attention that it was shutdown by the US government because it countered the censorship by the SOPA legislation. One of the devs got his H-1B work visa revoked because of it.

You guys could really hit it off.

2 Likes

That’s pretty slick. The .gov clearly isn’t our fren. Especially with what we do in securities - the SEC deeply desires to keep the focus on cryptocurrency instead of exploring the improvements to market infrastructure brought by DLT. But then the Depository Trust Corporation wouldn’t be able to hold everyone’s trade float. If people only really knew how market infrastructure worked, and the risks to our economy that exist… Thanks for the openrelay read. Super interesting.

1 Like