Portainer and support plans?

My employer is a new support subscriber at the Self Guided level and once they see what we can do with Mayan EDMS I could ask them to move to Level 1 Starter. I can’t see our count of users going past Level 2 Growth.

We have a trio of systems for hosting and are in the process of moving from Proxmox 7.4 to 8.0. I have used Portainer in my home lab and it was handy when I was just getting started with Docker. The Mayan EDMS provisioning with it is REALLY smooth and there is a free for up to three systems license. Is there a reason Docker Compose is listed as being supported and Portainer is not included?

Part of why I am asking is for the sake of continuity planning. The company had a terrible experience with my predecessor, losing a couple years of work with no recourse. When I started talking about EDMS they became willing to listen when I described what I normally do for continuity planning.

So … is Portainer part of the support? If so, at what level does support start?

Is there a reason Docker Compose is listed as being supported and Portainer is not included?

The reason is that Portainer is not a 100% compatible with Docker Compose which is the most common denominator for Docker deployments. Each Docker manager seems to add their own spin on how to interpret the Docker Compose files and/or don’t support all features of the Docker Compose file or the infrastructure (like networking), these add variability unique to each vendor.

https://docs.mayan-edms.com/chapters/portainer/installation.html

If we go that route and support Portainer, we would need to also support other specialized products like DockStation, Docker Desktop, Synology, Unraid, Podman, Swarm, Docker machine. This means we would need to setup labs for each of those products to test artifacts times the number of active versions of Mayan times support requests.

This is the same logic why we stopped supporting direct Python installations, there was too much variability on each installation depending on the Linux distribution.

For these reasons we settled on Docker Compose (for small and medium) and Kubernetes (enterprise), with two layouts we obtain the most installation potential with the least amount of variability.

Because Portainer is still a specialized product requiring research and maybe an external expert, we could support it on level 3 or above.

Use Portainer to get started, but shift to Docker Compose for supportability. Got it :slight_smile:

Is it easy to migrate from a portainer instalation to docker compose ?

Or will i need to make a backup and restore ?

Thanks

Jorge

Or will i need to make a backup and restore ?

This is the safest option.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.