How to connect a scanner on a Windows computer that has access to Mayan EDMS

Hi there,

I’m having a difficulty running my Brother ADS-4700W with Mayan.

Mayan is installed on an Ubuntu 22 VM.
Windows 10 clients will access the Mayan

The scanner is working on both Windows and Ubuntu using the scanner’s app and sane app as well.

I already configured the Data Source.
Both tried Watch Folder and Sane Scanner.
I sure have missed something or maybe a lot.

Help are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

The easiest way to connect a scanner is by using a network share as shown in this article:

Integrating the Brother ADS-2800W scanner with TrueNAS and Mayan EDMS

If you want to share your desktop scanner with a VM running Mayan, then that will depend and change based on the virtualization software you use. The VM must be able to access the scanner before Mayan can use it. This configuration is not recommended due to the number of unknowns and potential issues with sharing host devices with a VM.

Hello Roberto,

Thank you for your usual prompt response.

I have read that article already but it’s not applicable to my situation right now.

Connecting my scanner to the VM was just an experiment but wasn’t plan on using it though.

My plan is to connect my scanner to a Windows computer to be used to scan documents and store it to a folder thar is shared across the network or maybe the computer itself.

Scan & Upload directly to Mayan or
Scan, Store and Mayan will pull it out automatically.

I want Sane and Watch folder data source to be running.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Both tried Watch Folder and Sane Scanner.

Connecting my scanner to the VM was just an experiment but wasn’t plan on using it though.

I have read that article already but it’s not applicable to my situation right now.

Besides sharing the scanner with the VM as a USB device, controlling the scanner via the network using SANE, or having the scanner store the documents in a shared drive, there is no other method to use a scanner.

The main issue is attempting to use the scanner as an attached device for a single host, but also attempting to share the scanned files. The purpose of Mayan’s Watch folder/storage and the Staging folder/storage sources is precisely to allow sharing a scanner device without requiring it to be attached or controlled by a single host as a peripheral.

Windows is not a suitable operating system for large Mayan deployments. I does not offer the technologies required for scaling a document management solution. You can coherence it, but this is something that will more likely than not create recurrent issues in the future.

If you wish to continue with this approach please understand that Windows and not Mayan will be the primary cause of issues.

My plan is to connect my scanner to a Windows computer to be used to scan documents and store it to a folder thar is shared across the network

In this case system hosting the network to which the Windows machine is sending the scanned files must also provide a compatible means to share the same network drive with the Mayan VM’s host operating system. The network drive must be mounted inside the VM too, and then also made available to the Mayan Docker container. Only then will Mayan be able to access the network drive.

or maybe the computer itself.

In this case, the Windows machine must provide a file server software compatible with the Mayan VM’s host operating system. The network drive must be mounted inside the VM too, and then also made available to the Mayan Docker container. Only then will Mayan be able to access the network drive.

The only difference between the scenarios is which system will perform the scanned images file serving. The external system providing the network drive or the Windows host machine. But in both case it is the responsibility of those system to first share the drive in a compatible manner before Mayan can even be aware of it.

Hi Roberto,

Good day!

Thank you very much for these detailed response.
I can now visualize it and very excited to try it out.

The part where the network folder (storage for scanned files) needs to be mounted to the VM is what I missed.