Archiving solution that works with mayan edms?

Is there an archiving solution that works well with mayan edms?

Here is my usecase:

I have lots of documents, instead of increasing storage for the document files, I would like to archive files that are older than a certain date.

After archiving/removing files would I still be able to view the document information such as added metadata?

What is the recommended way to do it? I store my files in the filesystem.

That is a new use case, but it would be almost possible as things are right now.

It is possible to have documents with no files attached to them. These are called document stubs. However they are meant to be temporary and are pruned if no files get attached to them. The default is 24 hours (mayan/apps/documents/literals.py · master · Mayan EDMS / Mayan EDMS · GitLab)

It would be possible to add a setting to disable document stub pruning. This would allow you to delete the files and just keep the database information about the document.

Seems simple enough at first glance that could be added in the next minor version.

Thanks for the request.

Thank you very much!

I facing the same issue. So I created a feature to disables the deleting of document shells. It does by adding a binary flag to apps/documents/managers.py that causes it to skip the deleting.

I sent’ this code when @legosiv posted by has not recevied any reply from the Mayan team!

How to get this code added to Mayan??

I checked and could not find a signed CAA document matching your email account.

Without a signed CAA we cannot include, review, or even look at submitted code.

You can find the CAA document and instructions at: Mayan EDMS Individual Contributor Assignment Agreement — Mayan EDMS 4.4.5 documentation

signed and sent to email,what is next!?

Hello is the feature merged? How do we use it?

i send coding but @roberto.rosario says code is not complete and with standard cannot be include.

The code as submitted was not usable, was poorly written, did not followed our coding practices, was hard coded, and worked only for a specific use case. Feedback was provided on how to address all aspects but no reply was received.

We have move forward with a different approach and now archiving is more flexible as it can be tuned per document type.

Thank you roberto! I am really excited for it. When are you and the team planning to roll out the feature? The new features will be mentioned in the changelogs? Thank you so much.

Thanks for the request, it helped got things started.

Disabling document stub pruning for the entire installation was too extreme, so we made it more granular by operating at the document type level. Each document type can have different stub pruning settings, either by disabling it or extending the document stub expiration before pruning takes effect.

This is already complete, merged, and will be available in the next minor release, version 4.5.

The original target date for this version was June, but a lot of changes were added to the pipeline and it is now uncertain if we can make the June deadline.

This is how the feature looks, no additional changes are foreseen for now.

Thanks for the request and the feedback.

While waiting for the release i did a configuration change.

I changed the stub expiration date to 2 years! This would help me remove some files right away without mayan deleting the document wouldnt it? What is the maximum duration I can set? maybe 10 years would be ideal.

That will work until you upgrade to the next version.

Since the document stub pruning on version 4.5 is configured in a different way, it will start deleting document stubs.

It would be necessary to run a multi stage upgrade so that the database migrates but the background don’t execute and delete your empty documents. This is a custom upgrade process and not tested.

I recommend holding off manipulating the document stub pruning until after version 4.5.

Version 4.5 has been released and includes this feature.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.