EDMS Vers. 4.2.5 Upgrade Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
Obelix1981

EDMS Vers. 4.2.5 Upgrade Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04

Post by Obelix1981 »

Hello everyone, I am currently using Mayan EDMS as a direct installation in version 4.2.5 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

I tried to update to the current version 22.04 LTS via "do-release-upgrade", which also worked. However, after that I was no longer able to access the Mayan EDMS web interface.

Did I maybe do something wrong? or is it not advisable to update to the current version 22.04? Or do I have to update to EDMS 4.2.7 first and then upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04?

Of course, I made a backup of the previous Ubuntu 20.04 installation and just restored it, so I currently have access to the web interface again.

Can any of you guys help out?
michael
Developer
Developer

Re: EDMS Vers. 4.2.5 Upgrade Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04

Post by michael »

Python virtualenvs break after a full distribution upgrade because the Python version changes. You need to recreate the Python virtualenv.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/615 ... untu-20-04

https://soitgoes511.github.io/linux/upd ... _venv.html

https://github.com/pypa/pipx/issues/146
Obelix1981

Re: EDMS Vers. 4.2.5 Upgrade Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04

Post by Obelix1981 »

Hi Michael,

sorry for my late answer.

I read through your links today and tried to understand what I have to do now so that I can access the web interface again. Unfortunately, I can't make sense of the articles and fail when trying to use the latest version of Python 3.11

What I have done so far: I updated Ubuntu to the latest version 22.04.1 LTS. After restarting, the MAYAN-EDMS user interface is not accessible. Then I installed Python 3.11 and rebooted again. What do I have to do exactly so that MAYAN-EDMS uses the new version of Python?

Would you be so kind as to explain it to me step-by-step?

Thank you very much for your effort.
Obelix1981

Re: EDMS Vers. 4.2.5 Upgrade Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 (SOLVED)

Post by Obelix1981 »

So after hours of trying and testing I finally got it. However, not with an upgrade but with a fresh installation of Ubuntu 22.05.1 LTS.

I then installed MAYAN-EDMS according to the instructions and integrated the "media" folder there and restored the database via psql dump file and voila now it works.

So for everyone who works with Ubuntu: Don't go to the trouble of upgrading via "do-release-upgrade", just install it fresh and then install MAYA-EDMS (although I also installed the latest version of Postgress, forget it not to install the latest version of supervisor) and restored the database via dumpfile, then copied the contents of the media folder (I did it via drag and drop via WinSCP) into the fresh installation. Reboot and voila.

Instructions for creating a dump file can be found in the upgrade descriptions. I personally have the commands from the Mayan-EDMS book.