create new "document bundle" from existing document files

Requests for new functionality or improvements in existing functionality. Please provide clear descriptions of your request, an example or if possible a real life scenario.
ammonite

create new "document bundle" from existing document files

Post by ammonite »

Firstly does the front end represent all available api functionality?

Reading the 4.0 release the page composition feature is now included in Mayan - but I don't see a way to create a “new document” or file object from existing files if this is not currently included it would be immensely useful to be able to do document composition.

Example Scenario - “document bundle”

In scenario A I want to create one pdf document from many individual pages from different documents. for the sake of argument, I want to send 7 different invoices or parts of invoices given to a customer that has over 400 in a one year period. along with any supporting information that may be needed for this example use case.

it would be nice to have a new document or new bundle button - where by I could select which documents / pages of said documents I wanted to include in the bundle.

eg I want to create a new document (bundle) - suggest page view tick boxes - add to bundle (name)

2020-03-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A (all pages)
2020-07-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A (Pages 1,3)
2020-09-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A (page 1)
2020-18-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A (all pages)
2020-06-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A (all pages)
2020-06-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A (Pages 1,7)
2020-06-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A (all pages)

2020-11-3 - Email from customer A Promise to pay outstanding sums in one week (all pages)
2020-12-5 - Small claims notification to customer A for failure to pay (all pages)

once pages / documents or page ranges selected – then it would be useful to be able to apply redaction page reordering on this new “virtual document bundle” and then be able to run an export to .pdf ideally the resulting “virtual bundle.pdf” would have the option of being cached for quick access if necessary.

I may have just missed how to do this if it has been added in 4.0 or I have miss understood the intention behind the page composition feature. Either way this functionality would give the project a massive advantage if it is not currently enabled or on the roadmap.

if it is enabled is there a guide on how to do this?

many thanks
ammonite

Re: create new "document bundle" from existing document files

Post by ammonite »

Diving a little deeper - unless I am mistaken this feature is not currently in Mayan - Essentially the use case would be "create new bundle" and then use Mayan as its source rather than a web upload / staging / watch folders etc , this would then need the ability to append and the ability to remap to document to remove pages.

for example

:Create Document Bundle:
:source - Mayan: -
:Browse cabinets:
:add invoice "2020-07-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A" :version "hi res": to :"Mayan Bundle 1":
:would you like to append another document to bundle ? Y/N: Y
:Browse cabinets:
:add invoice "2020-06-3 - invoice for bolts - customer A (Pages 1,7)
:would you like to append another document to bundle ? Y/N: N
-Bundle created-

this would then be treated as a new document file, that could be remapped,, versioned, allow for further addition to the bundle via the files tab similar to what is there now - but allowing an internal source.

I have played with the New pagination and document versioning, appending and re mapping pages etc and that's fantastic for some things - but the ability to generate a new document from sources would be incredible for the task I outlined in the above post, but there seems to be a need for an internal Mayan files Source?

again sorry if I have missed something, I have been playing with Mayan, using workarounds to get it to function with windows and am avidly reading the book / experimenting but if I'm not mistaken this feature is not yet added?
lanterieur

Re: create new "document bundle" from existing document files

Post by lanterieur »

From what I understood reading other posts, Mayan EDMS aims to never change documents.

Bundling documents together as one would go against that.

Bundling documents together without strict association is already implemented by Cabinets. Cabinets are not exclusive folders, more like a tag structure.
Alternatively you could also use a specific metadata field and create an index on them to associate documents.

What you can do as well, which is closer to what we implemented, is that Mayan EDMS may automatically or manually trigger a workflow which will make a http request to a custom external API which can manipulate documents and send them back to Mayan EDMS.

You could imagine a scenario where your business application would create monthly, quarterly and yearly reports. On the first day of the year, it could create January, Q1 and Y report documents in Mayan EDMS. In Feb it would create Feb, create a new version of Q1 with Jan&Feb, and same with Y, on April 1st, it would create April, Q2 and a new version of Y with April appended.
In this scenario, Mayan EDMS never changes the documents but it records the versioning. Your user can decide to open monthly, quarterly or yearly documents within Mayan EDMS.