Resizing PDFs within Mayan?

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
hercovandyk

Resizing PDFs within Mayan?

Post by hercovandyk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:27 am

Hello all,

I have a Mayan (3.1.9) implementation with around 1 million documents. Space limitations will be a bigger issue than I initially anticipated, we expect in excess of 5mil images at the end of the project.

At the moment I am exporting printable PDFs from another system into Mayan, but that is no longer needed. So I am free to lower the quality considerably, and hopefully reduce the disk space my PDFs are taking.

Is there a simple way to go about this in Mayan? It is crucial to maintain the metadata/filenames.

It is a Linux machine, so I have a lot of freedom for a solution.

Thanks,
Herco.

rosarior

Re: Resizing PDFs within Mayan?

Post by rosarior » Sun May 19, 2019 8:17 pm

One of the base principles of Mayan is to never modify the original document file. This is now mostly for historical reasons as Mayan was created to work with documents in the government where custody chain was important and a software with the ability to modify files was not allowed to be used.

Times have changed and we have been debating whether to get rid of this and add file modification features like resizing, splitting and merging. The feature is possible from the technical point of view, we just need to discuss how and if we want to take the software over that direction.