Utility request

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
greeton

Utility request

Post by greeton » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:16 am

I'm a support subscriber. I need an utility or script that is able to scan a drive path and report which of those files are not found in a deployment of Mayan. I need to see which files I need to upload but don't want to upload them all blindly and end up with tons of duplicates. Thanks!
Last edited by greeton on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

rosarior

Re: Utility request

Post by rosarior » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi,

Support subscribers have direct email access to developers and don't need to post in the forums. The support subscription is for support in the installation, configuration, use, etc of Mayan EDMS and don't include custom developments, customizations, rebranding, or resale rights. Those are covered using custom contracts for each case.

greeton

Post by greeton » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:50 am

I understand now about the custom script.

However I don't like mixing technical support messages with business messages in my email. Would it be possible to have a private forum for support clients? Another idea: The current subscription prices are Ok for businesses but quite high for the average home and self employed users. How about making the private forum available as its own subscription tier. Say 1 dollar. That way there can be a free/community forum and a private forum where Mayan developer could hang around more often.

Another idea: I noticed that the company managing services for Mayan is called Mayan too, Mayan EDMS LLC to be exact. From my research, open source projects that choose the commercial route to scale services have a very steep hill to climb. It is usually impossible to do without investors. Would you consider restructuring Mayan EDMS LLC as a non profit organization that would instead fund itself via donations and grants?

Thanks for an awesome piece of software.
All the best.

rosarior

Post by rosarior » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:44 am

I think the idea of a separate private forum for support subscribers or available on its own for a minimal charge is a great idea. phpBB already supports this, we can roll out a test in the next days. Thank you.

We tried switching to a non profit a few years ago after a public issue with copyrights and illegal versions of Mayan EDMS. Non profits however require much more paperwork than a commercial LLC. There are many more IRS forms to fill out and the amount of work requires more people. We got a lot of feedback but when it came time to sign on the dotted line nobody stepped forward. At the end it fell on me to take charge again of managing the organization. It is a good idea and a great way to grow the project, but without help and commitment from more people it is not going to happen.