Frontend not reachable under 0.0.0.0:80 or localhost or 127.0.0.1:80 [SOLVED]

When things don't work as they should.
heXXag0n

Frontend not reachable under 0.0.0.0:80 or localhost or 127.0.0.1:80 [SOLVED]

Post by heXXag0n »

Hello people,

I've got an issue that the frontend of my mayan EDMS is not reachable. I've just set it up on a raspberry pi 4 using the docker-compose method. When running

Code: Select all

docker ps
then I get

Code: Select all

CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                   COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                  PORTS                  NAMES
305d3a2589ab        mayanedms/mayanedms:3   "entrypoint.sh run_a…"   10 seconds ago      Up Less than a second   0.0.0.0:80->8000/tcp   mayan_app_1
696dadf94200        postgres:9.6-alpine     "docker-entrypoint.s…"   12 seconds ago      Up 9 seconds            5432/tcp               mayan_postgresql_1
5f9a38f39036        redis:5.0-alpine        "docker-entrypoint.s…"   12 seconds ago      Up 10 seconds           6379/tcp               mayan_redis_1
which looks fine to me. But as I've stated in the title of this topic, I can't reach the frontend via the given address. I have not touched the docker-compose.yml and just left it the way I downloaded it. Did I miss something? Does it have something to do with me running it on Raspberry OS? Because I've not gotten any errors by docker or docker-compose so far.

I'm a little lost.

Kind regards,
heXXag0n

ancientskyscraper

Re: Frontend not reachable under 0.0.0.0:80 or localhost or 127.0.0.1:80

Post by ancientskyscraper »

I'm sure you're already thinking of this, but JUST IN CASE...

Are your keyboard and monitor plugged directly into the Raspberry Pi? I like to run my Raspberry Pi as a headless server, and I use ssh to log into it and run commands from another computer. If you're set up like I am, then 0.0.0.0 on the Pi is not the same as 0.0.0.0 on the computer you're using to talk to it.

If you're plugged right into the Pi, then this thought wouldn't apply. (I hope this makes sense...)

One other thing---you could try to use another port other than 80, just for troubleshooting. Maybe there's some security configuration or other process blocking port 80? I read somewhere that you need root/sudo privileges to use a port that is lower than 1024, so if it were me I'd try something like 2000 or 4000 just to see if that works. (I have NO idea if that's what is impacting your installation, I haven't tested to see if this is something that even happens with Mayan...)

And, of course, if a higher port does work, then you can move on to trying to figure out why 80 doesn't. Port 80 would be a lot more convenient for production use.

Hope this helps!

heXXag0n

Post by heXXag0n »

Thanks for your ideas. Unfortunately, I'm on that raspberry via plugged-in keyboard and monitor, not via some remote solution.

Also, it did not work changing the port to some other than 80. I've tried multiple ports, but none seemed to fix my problem.

Additionally, I've tried running the docker-compose script with elevated root permissions, but the issue still remains. I've tried the same on another machine running Ubuntu 20.04, and there everything worked as expected. Maybe the software used to serve the frontend was not compiled against that ARM architecture the Pi uses? If so, then it would probably never work, regardless of the actual OS I run on the Pi, right?

Nevertheless, thank you for sparing some of your time to help.

franco
Developer
Developer

Post by franco »

Hi,

The official Docker image is for x64 architectures, it will not run as is on a Raspberry Pi or any other ARM based computer.

Docker is finally shipping cross-platform builds (experimental at the moment) and this will soon be a possibility.

You can subscribe to ticket 422 (https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/-/issues/422) to follow the progress.