[SOLVED] How do Available Permissions really work?

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
rvnovaes

[SOLVED] How do Available Permissions really work?

Post by rvnovaes »

Hello to all!

I have made two different installations of Mayan. One using latest (3.3.7) docker image and another one following development instructions, e.g., I have cloned the repository and ran the necessary manage.py commands in order to try to figure out what is happening/how does permissions work.

In both cases, the installation was successful and everything appears to be working fine.

Nevertheless, I cannot figure out how does Mayan presents us the "Available Permissions" when creating/setting permissions for a role.

After a fresh install, a set of permissions and permissions namespaces is presented on the screen that allows us to select permissions for a certain role. But not all permissions are shown.

After I perform some tasks, different permissions start to appear. I will give, as example, the permissions concerning "Cabinets" but the same thing happens with other apps (documents, document types, etc):

After the aforementioned fresh install, using superadmin user, I have create a Role named "Users".

Under Cabinets only "Create Cabinets" and "View Cabinets" are available.

I go then and create, with superadmin, a cabinet.

When I go back to the screen of permission selection for a role, "Delete Cabinets" and "Edit Cabinets" are also available.

Is it right? Is there a way to show every possible permission without having to perform many operations to make more "Available Permissions" appear? For example, I would like to create an Admin role that has all permitions beforehand.

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
cabinet2.png
cabinet2.png (114.42 KiB) Viewed 898 times
cabinet1.png
cabinet1.png (116.7 KiB) Viewed 898 times

rssfed23

Re: How do Available Permissions really work?

Post by rssfed23 »

That sounds like a bug to me - it's almost as if the system doesn't "know" that object exists until you first create one.
My thoughts are it should show all available permissions from the start even if no document type exists.

Logged as https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/757 to see if it is a bug or design choice.

Thanks for the report!
Please bear with us during the current global situation. The team all have families and local communities to look after as well as the community here. Responses may be delayed during this time, but rest assured we will get to your query eventually.

rvnovaes

Re: How do Available Permissions really work?

Post by rvnovaes »

I agree with you. I also think that all possible permissions should be available from the start as well.

Thanks for you reply.

rssfed23

Re: [SOLVED] How do Available Permissions really work?

Post by rssfed23 »

For anyone else following this thread, the issue was resolved in 3.3.8
Please bear with us during the current global situation. The team all have families and local communities to look after as well as the community here. Responses may be delayed during this time, but rest assured we will get to your query eventually.