Versioning and workflows - a "draft" system?

Requests for new functionality or improvements in existing functionality. Please provide clear descriptions of your request, an example or if possible a real life scenario.
maathieu

Versioning and workflows - a "draft" system?

Post by maathieu » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 am

Hi folks,

What would be really cool is to have the possibility of not showing to everyone the newly uploaded version of a given document as long as it doesn't reach 100% of its attributed workflow. While it is below 100% it could be stored as a draft with a "View draft" ACL available for users who are allowed to see the work in progress.

Many tia,

rssfed23

Re: Versioning and workflows - a "draft" system?

Post by rssfed23 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've logged it as https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/733
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

rssfed23

Post by rssfed23 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:09 am

Hi Maathieu.

There's been a response on the issue from our lead developer:

"The Draft/Complete flag is in essence a state of the document, and the current state of the document changes the access level of the document.
Document states is for what the workflow engine was added. Access level can be handled with the ACL system. The workflow engine as it stands right now should be able to handle this as it is internally a finite state machine.

A draft/complete setup can be implemented with a workflow that has two states and two transitions. State 1 Draft, State 2 Complete, Transitions 1 Set to Complete, Transition 2 Set to Draft. The Draft state is set as the initial state of the workflow. Add to the first state a "Revoke document access" and remove the view or any other permission from roles that will need to wait for the document to completed. Add to the second state a "Grant document access". The two transitions allow for toggling the draft status of the document."

Are you able to have a play and see if that meets your needs? - If it doesn't if you could add some detail to the Gitlab issue on your specific requirement so it can be discussed there it would be much appreciated :)

I should also mention for anyone else that comes across this, there are a couple of examples that go into a bit more detail on the Workflow system than in the documentation in the Exploring Mayan EDMS Book
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

maathieu

Post by maathieu » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 am

Hi,

I see, very clever! However, as far as I understand Mayan, a workflow affects all the revisions of the document at the same time. So for example if I have a public document in v1 and I am working on the draft of v2, with the above solution, as soon as I upload my v2 draft, the whole document becomes inaccessible to the public until the new version is validated.

What would be great is to still allow access to v1, as it is still the reference version of the document, while v2 is being validated. v2 then replaces v1 once validation is complete.

But I guess that solution can be a workaround.

Cheers,

mathieu