Document upload wizard for batch of files - decorrelate Metadata and Tags

Requests for new functionality or improvements in existing functionality. Please provide clear descriptions of your request, an example or if possible a real life scenario.
maathieu

Document upload wizard for batch of files - decorrelate Metadata and Tags

Post by maathieu »

Hello there,

I was wondering whether it would be possible to decorrelate the Metadata and Tags entry in the New Document procedure when uploading several files.

Let me explain. Currently on Step 1 I select a Document Type. On Step 2 I enter document metadata, and on Step 3 I select tags to attach to my documents.

Then on step 4 I can select my cabinet,

And finally I can add a batch of files, and all my files will get the same metadata and tags, and be added to the same Cabinet.

My understanding of Cabinet, Metadata and Tags is, Cabinet is kind of the general category where the document should fit, Metadata is general information about the document (for example, in my situation where my document is a Product Photo document, Metadata would be Provider Name, Batch Number etc.), and Tags are more specific things (for example, "this is a photo of a box", "this is a photo of the electronic board", "this is a photo of a serial number"...)).

With the current implementation I leave the Tags field blank at step 3 and then manually fill in the tags after uploading the Documents.

It would be useful (at least for me ^^) to be able to set tags to each uploaded file during the final step.

What do you think?

rssfed23

Re: Document upload wizard for batch of files - decorrelate Metadata and Tags

Post by rssfed23 »

I requested the same thing a couple of posts below yours :D - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1527

Great minds think alike :)
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

rosarior
Developer
Developer

Re: Document upload wizard for batch of files - decorrelate Metadata and Tags

Post by rosarior »

Hi,

This is being tracked with issue #6 (https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/6). The gists of it is that the way Django's upload wizard works (and HTTP), the file upload must always be the last step.

As the API continues to mature, the plan is to add a new uploader that uses the API to send the data and not the current, sequential HTTP requests.

One key piece missing for this is a way for the server backend to initiate a response to the JavaScript in the UI. This is being tracked with issue #675 (https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/675). We've settled on using server sent events (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ent_events) as they are more standard and better supported by all browsers. Issue #675 will be worked when the development cycle for version 4.0 begins. If we are able to close issue #675, then it will be possible to start working on the new uploader.