Document Search Rules/Protocols

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
vntanseng

Document Search Rules/Protocols

Post by vntanseng »

Hi, I'm fairly new to Mayan EDMS and I need some clarification on searching documents.

I know that searching for documents with the string: ABC 123 will pull up all the documents with ABC and 123 in them. While searching for ABC-123 will get all documents with ABC excluding 123. According to the book Exploring Mayan EDMS, if I need to search for a specific string: ABC-123, I need to have it enclosed within quotation marks like "ABC-123", right?

The reason why I'm asking is because this does not happen for me. I don't get any search results. Why is that? Are there certain rules for document search that I'm not aware of?

What if for instance I need to pull up all the documents with a serial number of ABC-123 specifically? How can I effectively do it?

Thank you in advance to all who may provide clearer picture for me. Appreciate the help!

vntanseng

Re: Document Search Rules/Protocols

Post by vntanseng »

Additional info: I'm on version 3.1.9 using a PROXMOX virtual container with Turnkey Mayan EDMS.

rssfed23

Re: Document Search Rules/Protocols

Post by rssfed23 »

Not sure if you ever solved your issue Vntanseng, but I'm bringing up this thread because others may stumble across the same issue.

The version of Mayan that Turnkey Linux ships is very old (3.1.9 released November 2018). It is not an officially supported distribution by the project it's packaged by a third party and we have no influence/control over that.

I strongly encourage you to deploy a fresh instance of Mayan using the latest version. I believe the type of search you require was added in the 3.2 timeframe (when I do a quoted search on 3.3.7 it returns documents containing only what's within the quotes as you mention).

This post is also a friendly warning to anyone else reading about the old version provided by Turnkey. Please use the latest docker or direct deployment release. This brings the benefit of always getting the latest fixes and features plus means you're on a fully supported platform and we're more easily able to help you in the forum if required.

If you're using Proxmox as a platform (I do at home also) then you can deploy Mayan in an Ubuntu 18.04 LXC container and it functions flawlessly (make sure it's a privileged container if you plan on using NFS/SMB mounts for document storage).

I hope your experience with Mayan is still going well,
Rob
Please bear with us during the current global situation. The team all have families and local communities to look after as well as the community here. Responses may be delayed during this time, but rest assured we will get to your query eventually.