backup - restore problem

When things don't work as they should.
paul

backup - restore problem

Post by paul » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi,
I've been testing Mayan on an old machine (direct install - no docker). It was satisfying, so I decided to move it to a new box. Installed Mayan on the new machine, copied the document files to the new machine, dumped the database and imported the sql file on the new one.
Mayan home page shows the correct number of documents but it shows only one document type. When I ask it to show all documents I get no response.
The dump contains 9 document types, the new install has only 1. So I created the other types on the new machine but that doesn't help. (The ID's of the records are different - on the old installation 'Default' had ID 1 the ones I created started from ID 10 - on the new install it's just 1, 2, 3 ......)

The old box is running Ubuntu server, on the new one I have tried ubuntu server and antix linux with the same result.

It's not a big deal to recreate the documents I have but it's no good when I'm not sure that I can move to another machine when that is necessary.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Paul

rosarior

Re: backup - restore problem

Post by rosarior » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi,

Based on the behavior you describe I would think that the restore is not working properly or that the versions of the two Mayan installations is not the same and there are missing migrations. That or that the Ubuntu version on the machines is different. There are changes on the default GNUPG shipped with Ubuntu for example that need to be addressed or an existing installation won't work properly.

paul

Re: backup - restore problem

Post by paul » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:46 pm

Today I managed to make it work. Exported all the entire postgresql databases (pg_dumpall - postgresql 10.10). Reinstalled the linux system (ubuntu) and then installed postgresq (11.5)l. Imported the dump and that gave no errors. Then installed mayan, copied the document files, changed ownership to mayan and it works.
Still it keeps me worried. When a machine goes down you should be able to start anew with a backup of the docs and a dump of the database.
Besides this I'm very happy about the way mayan works. So I will make a small donation (it is personal use and will be no more than a few hundred docs).
Keep up the good work!