Indexing Error

When things doesn't work as they should.
briboe

Indexing Error

Post by briboe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 am

I was working on some new indexes and while rebuilding them received the following error:

[2019-09-10 04:11:52,006: ERROR/MainProcess] Task mayan.apps.document_indexing.tasks.task_rebuild_index[7e18a99c-4fd0-4560-9633-651e8b7805a0] raised unexpected: MultipleObjectsReturned('get() returned more than one IndexInstanceNode -- it returned 2!',)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/celery/app/trace.py", line 240, in trace_task
R = retval = fun(*args, **kwargs)
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/celery/app/trace.py", line 438, in __protected_call__
return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mayan/apps/document_indexing/tasks.py", line 68, in task_rebuild_index
index.rebuild()
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mayan/apps/document_indexing/models.py", line 155, in rebuild
self.index_document(document=document)
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mayan/apps/document_indexing/models.py", line 121, in index_document
for index_instance_node in self.instance_root.get_leafnodes():
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mayan/apps/document_indexing/models.py", line 128, in instance_root
return self.template_root.get_instance_root_node()
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mayan/apps/document_indexing/models.py", line 260, in get_instance_root_node
index_instance_root_node, create = self.index_instance_nodes.get_or_create(parent=None)
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/fields/related_descriptors.py", line 659, in get_or_create
return super(RelatedManager, self.db_manager(db)).get_or_create(**kwargs)
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 85, in manager_method
return getattr(self.get_queryset(), name)(*args, **kwargs)
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 464, in get_or_create
return self.get(**lookup), False
File "/opt/mayan-edms/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 384, in get
(self.model._meta.object_name, num)
Exception: get() returned more than one IndexInstanceNode -- it returned 2!

Now I get a blank screen when I try to view my indexes.

Tried deleting the child node I was working on but didn't help.
Not sure what to do next.

rosarior

Re: Indexing Error

Post by rosarior » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 am

Thanks for the report.

Reading the debug I can see understand the reason for the error. A query that can only return a single value, the runtime instance of an index template node, returned two value, which is impossible. I'm guessing an index rebuild or update was executing in the background while the index template was being edited. This resulted in two runtime instances of the same index template node. Is your Mayan instance running on two machines. For example to load balance?

This one will be challenging to fix. A way to detect that an index template is being edited must be found and used to block updates to the index from happening.

In the meantime we will discuss the option of adding a tool button that fully resets the index and deletes all runtime instances. This will make the rebuild take longer but will result in an index runtime instance that's guaranteed to be clean and consistent.

briboe

Re: Indexing Error

Post by briboe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:25 pm

What you are saying sounds like what happened. I was playing around with indexes trying to learn the syntax so it is quite possible I was editing and rebuilding at the same time.

Only running on one machine so not load balanced. Just a test implementation.

I have disabled the index it seems to be happening on and everything else seems to be OK. Will it be a problem if I just delete the index and re-create with the same name or do I need to have a different name/slug?

Appreciate your prompt reply and the good explanation.

Really enjoying working with Mayan.