New document import flow

Requests for new functionality or improvements in existing functionality. Please provide clear descriptions of your request, an example or if possible a real life scenario.
KevinPawsey

New document import flow

Post by KevinPawsey » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 am

Hi @rosarior,

I was wondering is there is a way of changing the way that the New Document flow works.

When importing a document I use the Staging Folder method, and I am forever forgetting what options I need to choose for each document... and by the time I come to chose the document, I have forgotten what I have chosen in the tage/cabinet, etc... Also, I need to know what the document is before I start chosing the tags and cabinets, etc... the logic just seems to be a bit backwards.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the cabinet, tag and document type as drop downs on the same page as the document selection, making importing multiple documents at the same time a much quicker task? Sometimes I have scanned 6 or 7 documents, and then having to run through the wizards every time is very tedious (coupled with the confusing order of selection of options first, document last).

So to sum up, is it possible to either:
1. select document first, and then go through the wizard (maybe with a thumbnail of the scanned document on each page as a reminder of the content)
2. have the New Document page include selection boxes and drop downs for all the options on the same page as selecting the document to be worked with?

Happy to discuss if you need any further explanation, or alternatives :)

Thanks for all your time and effort.

Kind regards

Kevin
Running Mayan-EDMS on: OpenMediaVault, (Docker plugin), on x86 dual-core

koen

Re: New document import flow

Post by koen » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 pm

option 2 would be really helpfull indeed!

I also use staging folders and find it strange to set all properties before you can actually select the document.

I don't like dropdowns though, they're okay for mobile websites, but I don't want to:
step 1: click, step 2: scroll, step 3: select and step 4: confirm in a list,
when there's plenty of room for displaying lots of directly clickable types/tags/containers in lists or even (interactive) tagclouds.

qweqweqwe

Post by qweqweqwe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 pm

This is the problem with Django or Python, can't remember exactly. Upload step need to be last or the http is lost.

rosarior

Post by rosarior » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:58 pm

That is correct, this was indeed a limitation of the form wizard we are using. That might not be the case now but we are moving away from the traditional single HTTP Post request method of executing actions anyways.

Michael and Eric's work with Mayan EDMS NG (merged in Mayan EDMS 3.0) accomplished a good chunk by starting the move to a single page app. That is a lot of things now happen using HTTP request via JavaScript (AJAX). The other piece missing is having a proper API for the sources app. That last one is being done right now. Right now we have a lot of view and API views, in other to keep adding more features we are switching to API view sets. This will allow adding and maintaining features easier. About half of the API has already been converted to view sets. We are currently doing the ACLs API. After all APIs are converted we'll take on adding new API like the one for the sources app. After the APIs are done then (and depending on schedule) we could add a preview of such feature. It will depend on how much time we are left after the current refactors. This along with other upload related features (like page separators, batch processing, staging areas, upload sessions) are in the wish list, we are tackling the requirements to pave the way to add them.

We have some rough ideas but the most common one we always circle back to is splitting the screen in two. The left panel will handle the upload widgets. The right pane will have an accordion widget here all app are able to register upload forms (metadata, cabinets, tags, etc). This layout will allow a single window upload process that will work regardless of the upload widget being used. For example this will work this way for the current interactive sources: webform and staging folder.

Even though we have rough ideas on the feature please feel free to share your ideas, ultimately you are the one that will use this and your user stories have the most weight when final design decisions are made. Thank you.
Last edited by rosarior on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevinPawsey

Post by KevinPawsey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi @rosarior,

good to hear from you again, and thanks for the progress update... it is nice to know that things are going on in the background :)

I did wonder if the reason for the wizard was due to the way that the app worked that does all the back end work.

Let me know what details would be useful, and maybe we could discuss what would be useful to progress this.

Thanks for everything.

Kevin
Running Mayan-EDMS on: OpenMediaVault, (Docker plugin), on x86 dual-core