New relase v4.0 and live stream suggestion.

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
Larrydic

New relase v4.0 and live stream suggestion.

Post by Larrydic »

First of all I would like to thank the team for an incredible product.

I've been testing out the release candidate of version 4.0. It works great but I'm a bit lost when it comes to some of the new features. Things like the page composition, active version and how some of the previous actions are now distributed between document files and document versions.

Since this is a big release, I would like to suggest that the team do a live stream or similar event to announce and showcase the new features. I know the team is very busy working on the code and providing special services, but it would be a great way to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of Mayan and have a chance to chat and personally thank the developers of this awesome software.
/- Larry
michael
Developer
Developer

Re: New relase v4.0 and live stream suggestion.

Post by michael »

I like this idea!

I'll ping the rest of the team to see if they think so too and how soon we could do a livestream.

Cheers!
rosarior
Developer
Developer

Post by rosarior »

Thanks for the suggestion!

Event announcement: viewtopic.php?p=8584#p8584

Event registration link: https://forms.gle/ysHqVUQchuUhW5NR9

See you all soon.
ammonite

Post by ammonite »

was this event recorded I would like to be able to watch it as I missed that it was happening and wanted to learn the 4.0 new features.

many thansk
Larrydic

Post by Larrydic »

Hello team,

Thanks for doing this it was very instructive and fun!!!I agree it would be grate if this had been recorded so I can rewatch it and learn more.

Besides the video intrucing new features it would help having access to the future features planned for the program.
michael
Developer
Developer

Post by michael »

Besides the video intrucing new features it would help having access to the future features planned for the program.
Producing video is very time consuming, especially the editing. If you are ok with a recorded livestream (including blunder and bloopers) I think we can do that.
ammonite

Post by ammonite »

unedited live streams are fine - there is just a lack of good video content / tours of the system and I missed the live event - if there is a copy of it available that would be great :)
RobertVib

Post by RobertVib »

Free open source software are a dime a dozen. Enterprise open source a bit less common but still pretty much accessible. Access to enterprise knowledge and experience, now that is a scarce commodity.

The value proposition of enterprise open source is not in the software but in getting privileged access to the minds behind it. If you publish videos, then why would anyone pay to have video session with the team when they can get that for free.

That is the sad reality of open source. As innovative as anyone can argue, it is still bound by human behavior. Very few people are going to pay for something they can get for free.

The other disadvantage to publishing videos is that you give your competitors and copycats easy access to your strengths and innovations. They don't event need to install your software in order to see what new features your are shipping and copy them. I've watched YouTube videos of DMS software where your can see the Mayan folder in the background. They actively monitor what you do.

Making videos works best for people that don't create a product. This is why video sites are full of "reviewers". Basically talking heads that are pushing products via sponsored content or sponsored links. Nothing wrong with that, that's their business model. The mistake is thinking this same model applies to open source.

Making the mindshare of the people behind Mayan available for free is a death sentence. Ask yourself, what is the sector asking for more free stuff? You'll find that is is the same sector that has not paid for anything or paid for the least possible.

Your audience already has access to an amazing product for free. The free nature of an open source project can be reverted at anytime with a license change. Knowledge on the other hand cannot. One you give out an important piece of information you can never get it back. And that is what freeloaders and people that want to undermine the project will be after the most.

My suggestion, stick with what has worked. 95% of open source project are a mess of design by committee, spaghetti code trying to fit the latest hot language or library fad, political infighting and act like a headless chicken when it comes to anything resembling a roadmap or future plans. They have a lot of followers and fans who think adoration gives them ownership of the project. Look how easily those projects rise and fall.

Mayan is celebrating 10 years of continued innovation. How many open source projects can you name that have lasted as much?

Mayan is so innovative that basically every other open source DMS and even commercial DMSes are copying something from it. Heck, even Django is copying stuff from Mayan. Look how readily they appropriated Awesome Django as soon as you left it.

Don't give into the freeloading crowd. It doesn't matter how much evangelism they claim they have done. The crowd gets free software in exchange for feedback. That's their value exchange. Community helps debug the project, enterprise helps pay your bills so you have the time to continue working on the product.

To quote Linus Torvalds "I don't need friends, I just need comments".

That is the correct value exchange and what keeps quality open source project like Mayan fresh and highly priced. You stumbled into this either by luck or by design, why change it?
ammonite

Post by ammonite »

I have to say that I disagree with most of this, but I understand the sentiment.

MAYAN seems incredibly powerful, but the barrier to entry is relatively high - a simple video tour of new features is relatively common in a lot of software, the live stream was done there just doesn't appear to be a recording done of it which is a shame - showing what new features are available and how you could use them does not "show your competitors" what your doing or how - they can download the source code for themselves if they really care to emulate. What it does do is show potential users and customers of service packs / the book what is now available.

I have been trying to evaluate Mayan since 3.5 for potential deployment - the lack of clear guides is very frustrating so I purchased the book - which has helped and was a bargain. However the book only currently covers up to 3.2, now what would you rather Rosarior spends his time doing? - coding and improving the project (which already seems excellent at a lot of the features) or writing and updating the book? Don't get me wrong I have asked about book updates and one day I'm sure they will probably happen or a new book version will be released. However a quick walkthrough of the ways to use new features or potential new ways you "could" use them does not remove the need for a service plan or the need for the book - it simply updates the community.

Editing videos is time consuming and the team have limited time to dedicate to such tasks which is understandable. But perhaps someone in the community will one day do a set of tutorials, and if so, wouldn't your entire argument me completely moot anyway? I mean does software such as Blender, Inkscape, Libre office or audacity suffer because normal users upload video tutorials??? I would argue quite the opposite. So I don't see how a live stream recording showing some of the new features would hurt MAYAN it may bring more code contributors, more users and more book purchases, more market awareness and possibly more support plans being bought.
Larrydic

Post by Larrydic »

Precisely,, it is very frustrating installaing a new version and start shooting in the dark until you stuff working.

A simple summary of new features, even in writing would go a long way. This is one of my few complains about an otherwise excellent project.