Configure brother scanner as source

When things don't work as they should.
hobbit

Configure brother scanner as source

Post by hobbit » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Good afternoon,

I installed Mayan EDMS on my ubuntu server and it is pretty convenient :D. I try to configure the scan feature (scanner as a source) but I am struggling. My scanner is a Brother MFC-J5335DW configured with static IP address.

1. I installed the scanner on my server and it works correctly.

2. I get the device address :

Code: Select all

hobbit@mayan:~$ scanimage -L
device `brother4:net1;dev0' is a Brother MFC-J5335DW MFC-J5335DW
3. In the Mayan EDMS GUI, I add a new source "Brother" and I write "brother4:net1;dev0" as "Device Name"

4. Then I go to "Documents" \ "New document". I can see the new source item "Brother" but when I click on "Scan", nothing happens.

Do you have any idea where I could find some log to see where the problem is ?

This post has been already helpful (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=161) but I am still stuck :(

Thank you for your help,
Hobbit

KevinPawsey

Re: Configure brother scanner as source

Post by KevinPawsey » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi,

wow, how did you manage to get the brother scanner to be seen... have you installed the brother drivers to get that far? According to SANE the brother MFCs are unsupported... I have had so many issues with trying to get my scanners to work, I am pulling my hair out :/

one thing that I have noticed from my "playing" is that sometimes permissions are an issue...

Kevin
Running Mayan-EDMS on: OpenMediaVault, (Docker plugin), on x86 dual-core

hobbit

Re: Configure brother scanner as source

Post by hobbit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:58 am

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your reply !

I think I haven't been further than you. I am able to scan using scanimage and this is where I stopped.
Is there something specific you would like to know regarding my setup ? (installation process, conf, etc).

Regarding permissions issues, what would you suggest to try in my case ?

Thanks !
Hobbit