[SOLVED] Staging folder not working

When things don't work as they should.
greenmaze

[SOLVED] Staging folder not working

Post by greenmaze »

I recently installed Mayan using Docker on my home server. I had a Watch folder source setup and working, but I later realized that I wanted a Staging folder rather than a Watch folder. I deleted the Watch folder source and created a new Staging folder source re-using the folder path from the Watch folder (i.e. "/watch_folder"). Now none of the documents in the Staging folder show up for me in the "New Document" web interface. Am I doing something wrong?

Pertinent info:
  • If I open up a console for the Mayan EDMS container, I can see the Staging folder (i.e. "/watch_folder") and its contents.
  • The Staging folder log is empty.
Where can I look for error message to help troubleshoot?
Last edited by greenmaze on Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rssfed23

Re: Staging folder not working

Post by rssfed23 »

Forgive me for asking a potentially stupid question, but when you click new document, you are choosing a document type, tags etc etc and then on the final page clicking the name of your staging folder near the top right, correct?
You should see it above or below "web upload", and you need to click that to show the list of all staging documents (they show at the very end step not before).
Please bear with us during the current global situation. The team all have families and local communities to look after as well as the community here. Responses may be delayed during this time, but rest assured we will get to your query eventually.

greenmaze

Post by greenmaze »

Not a stupid question! The staging folder is there and I can see the documents as you described.

I guess I'm misunderstanding the intended workflow for importing documents from the staging folder. I expected I'd be able to perform the steps in this order:

1. Click New document
2. Select a document from the staging folder
3. Chose a document type, tags, etc etc
4. Submit

To me it seems a backwards to choose the document type, tags, etc etc before picking out the file to import from the staging folder. Maybe I'm missing something?

rssfed23

Post by rssfed23 »

I’m glad you can see the documents.

You’re not missing anything - we’ve had this request many, many times in the past. Almost monthly a similar request!
See https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/-/issues/6

There’s a long standing feature request regarding this workflow, but ultimately we’re currently limited by the Django upload wizard and as such are limited by you having to specify the document type, tags etc before the document is uploaded, rather than after selecting a document.

Some of the foundations to be able to enhance this workflow are coming in the next major version if I recall correctly, but there is still a fair amount of work to do after that. Can’t give any timelines myself on that,
But for now, even with staging folders you have to choose document type etc first.
Some users in the api section of the forum have produced scripts etc to help automate the modification of documents after initial import, but changing after import is currently the only way to do it.

Of course, as with any Mayan feature request, an enterprise customer is welcome to sponsor this feature to get it implemented much faster if it’s important to them.
Please bear with us during the current global situation. The team all have families and local communities to look after as well as the community here. Responses may be delayed during this time, but rest assured we will get to your query eventually.

greenmaze

Post by greenmaze »

rssfed23,

Thank you for taking the time to explain why it works the way it does. I appreciate the work you and other contributes put into this project.

rssfed23

Re: [SOLVED] Staging folder not working

Post by rssfed23 »

Thanks - I also want to highlight @rosarior though - I mainly help with the forum and gitlab issues. He's the one that's dedicated over a decade (IIRC) to the projects code development, with some help along the way :)

You can support him directly by buying the Exploring Mayan EDMS book: https://www.mayan-edms.com/book/ - where the funds will help contribute to the continued success of the project (It'll be updated for the new major version after v4 is out the door I believe :) )