Installation Error - Docker Install

When things don't work as they should.
jbg

Installation Error - Docker Install

Post by jbg »

I tried to install Mayan 3.3.10 on Debian via Docker through the freshly downloaded bashscript on get.mayan-edms.com.

The only change I've made was changing the port to 81 because I already have a webserver running on 80.

The installation gets stuck at the last step while echoing "Waiting for the Mayan EDMS container to be ready (might take a few minutes)..."

Here is my log:

Code: Select all

$ docker logs -f mayan-edms
mayan: starting entrypoint.sh
mayan: update_uid_gid()
mayan: os_package_installs()
mayan: pip_installs()
mayan: performupgrade()
JSONField implementation is: <class 'django.db.models.fields.TextField'>
CommandError: Error during pre_upgrade signal: could not translate host name "mayan-edms-postgres" to address: Name or service not known
, <class 'django.db.utils.OperationalError'>
My system:
Debian GNU/Linux 9.11 (stretch)
Linux 4.15.18-24-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.18-52 (Thu, 05 Dec 2019 10:14:17 +0100) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Docker version 19.03.5, build 633a0ea838

A previous version of Mayan (3.2 if I recall correctly) installed nicely with the script on the system.

rssfed23

Re: Installation Error - Docker Install

Post by rssfed23 »

That looks to me as if the postgres service isn't running.

It could be that it failed to start or was named slightly different (unlikely if the script was used), but check the logs of the postgres container to see whats up.

Also, I recommend looking at the direct docker install instructions. The script was a community contribution and is really designed more as a quickstart rather than a production long term instance. Alternatively; there's an example docker-compose file that can be used. The script will at some point this year be deprecated also with new installations sent in the direction of the simple docker or docker-compose installation.
It's a lot easier for us to see what's going wrong as well when using one of the above 2 methods.

With the information above it's hard to tell why it can't find the postgres database, but as the hostname itself isn't found this means the docker service for postgres wasn't started for some reason.
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

jbg

Re: Installation Error - Docker Install

Post by jbg »

Thank you for your quick response! I will try to set up my installation with Docker compose then.