Detailed view after search

Requests for new functionality or improvements in existing functionality. Please provide clear descriptions of your request, an example or if possible a real life scenario.
carolis

Detailed view after search

Post by carolis » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi,
First of all I must thank creator/-s for this beautiful product as it came handy for a specific project I am involved in. Swift and simple installation with docker adaptation.
As I presented this to my client some questions started to came in regarding usage and interface experience.
I will present those questions in separate posts to have better readability.

Question: Is there a way to change how documents are represented when we do search?
Because now found files are listed in those bulky big thumbnails what is good when you use tablet, however it is irrelevant when you browse on 24" screens.
It would be nice to have an ability to have a change view button like in Windows explorer. Perhaps there is a way to turn it on?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,
Karolis

rosarior

Re: Detailed view after search

Post by rosarior » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks! We work very hard to improve it based on your feedback.

When you mention displaying document like Windows explorer, do you mean in a list fashion from top to bottom like the tag list or as a bunch of small thumbnails.

1-If it is as a list, that was actually the one appearance and was changed based on feedback but adding an option to display them as a list should no be too much work.

2-If it is to display many document as small thumbnails, then that would require a bit more work since we would need to add a new display template.

For #1, if you feel comfortable making code changes, you can change line 23 of the apps/dynamic_search/view.py file where is reads:

Code: Select all

'list_as_items': True,
to

'list_as_items': False,
This will make search results be shown as a list instead of the default item grid. I'll add an entry to our worklist to explore adding this as a configuration option.

daniel1113

Post by daniel1113 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:28 am

It would be great to have the ability to toggle between different views when looking at lists of documents across the system, whether in search results, indexes, cabinets, or elsewhere. Ideally I'd like to see 3 views: a traditional text-only list view with one document per line, a list view with small thumbnails (still just one document per line), and the full thumbnail view like in the latest build. I'm working on implementing Mayan EDMS to store a large cache of scanned documents (think tens of millions of pages). Narrowing down relevant documents via indexes is great, but trying to cover "the last mile" and pick the right document out of 100+ thumbnails is not. It's especially difficult with the inability to sort document lists. However, I understand that was a django limitation that has been resolved and a feature that should be coming in future builds. The ability to toggle views and sort documents would really be useful.

Until then, I'll definitely be checking out the code change you suggested to switch to a list view in the search results. I'm guessing there are similar changes that I can make in the other areas (indexes, cabinets, etc.) to do the same thing? I guess I'll find out :)

ovidiu

Post by ovidiu » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 am

I was just about to ask the exact same thing: can we have a list view instead of thumbnails.
just to explain WHY, I intend to manage my ISO 27001 ISMS documents with Mayan. Mayan offers all features I need so far except its not easy finding something so a list view with possibly configurable columns would be great.

To give an example, for my next re-certification, the auditor is going to ask me for a list of all ISMS docs with their version numbers, last approved date and the name of the person who approved them.
Right now I have to hunt down this info and type it into an excel sheet as I have no view that shows this info I could print or screenshot.

daniel1113 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:28 am
It would be great to have the ability to toggle between different views when looking at lists of documents across the system, whether in search results, indexes, cabinets, or elsewhere. Ideally I'd like to see 3 views: a traditional text-only list view with one document per line, a list view with small thumbnails (still just one document per line), and the full thumbnail view like in the latest build. I'm working on implementing Mayan EDMS to store a large cache of scanned documents (think tens of millions of pages). Narrowing down relevant documents via indexes is great, but trying to cover "the last mile" and pick the right document out of 100+ thumbnails is not. It's especially difficult with the inability to sort document lists. However, I understand that was a django limitation that has been resolved and a feature that should be coming in future builds. The ability to toggle views and sort documents would really be useful.

Until then, I'll definitely be checking out the code change you suggested to switch to a list view in the search results. I'm guessing there are similar changes that I can make in the other areas (indexes, cabinets, etc.) to do the same thing? I guess I'll find out :)

carolis

Post by carolis » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:54 pm

I was referring to #1. I changed the code in file views.py and I got almost what I needed.
There is a thumbnail column with document's page screenshot and it still takes to much space. I would prefer no thumbnail in list view. Author column would be nice though.

I vote for idea to have an ability to toggle between view preferences.

Br/Karolis
rosarior wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:00 pm
Thanks! We work very hard to improve it based on your feedback.

When you mention displaying document like Windows explorer, do you mean in a list fashion from top to bottom like the tag list or as a bunch of small thumbnails.

1-If it is as a list, that was actually the one appearance and was changed based on feedback but adding an option to display them as a list should no be too much work.

2-If it is to display many document as small thumbnails, then that would require a bit more work since we would need to add a new display template.

For #1, if you feel comfortable making code changes, you can change line 23 of the apps/dynamic_search/view.py file where is reads:

'list_as_items': True,
to

'list_as_items': False,
This will make search results be shown as a list instead of the default item grid. I'll add an entry to our worklist to explore adding this as a configuration option.