Prometheus Exporter for Mayan EDMS

Requests for new functionality or improvements in existing functionality. Please provide clear descriptions of your request, an example or if possible a real life scenario.
mcarlosro

Re: Serve Mayan EDMS over HTTPS using Traefik reverse proxy, LetsEncrypt and docker-compose

Post by mcarlosro »

Happy to help to create the exporter.

rssfed23

Prometheus Exporter for Mayan EDMS

Post by rssfed23 »

I'm splitting off a post from the Traefik Tutorialas to avoid going offtopic in that thread.
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

mcarlosro

Re: Prometheus Exporter for Mayan EDMS

Post by mcarlosro »

What metrics do you think can be interesting to start with?

Can you point me to the API?

Do you have any swagger specs?

I'm getting quite often "You cannot make another post so soon after your last.". Can you help?

rssfed23

Post by rssfed23 »

mcarlosro wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:53 pm
Happy to help to create the exporter.
Thanks for the offer.
To be clear this wouldn't be a case of "helping" to crate an exporter, but "creating" the exporter yourself.
The team doesn't currently have any capacity to build their own exporter from scratch and the types of metrics you're looking for with number of documents/no of indexes etc are interesting to have stats but have limited application in terms of monitoring critical functionality of Mayan or helping diagnose when things go wrong.

The metrics important to the administrators of mayan (within our enterprise customers) are the ones provided by the celery, node, rabbitmq, postgres & traefik exporters as those are the ones that help identify problems with the environment (oh and cadvisor if running the Docker version of Mayan). They're what power the "internals" of mayan and are the critical parts for monitoring.

Another project you can look into (and I'll be trying this myself soon) are existing Django exporters such as https://github.com/korfuri/django-prometheus. That can cover some of the things the above exporters can't including counting the current number of a specific model (which Documents/tags/indexes/etc are in djangoland) so would likely be what you'd need.
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

rssfed23

Post by rssfed23 »

Side note: you can also add postgres as a datasource to Grafana and query the stats mayan already generates directly
https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest ... /postgres/

mcarlosro wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:04 pm
What metrics do you think can be interesting to start with?

Can you point me to the API?

Do you have any swagger specs?

I'm getting quite often "You cannot make another post so soon after your last.". Can you help?
You asked for the exporter for Mayan semantics - the choice is yours as to what would be interesting for you :)

All the api docs are at https://docs.mayan-edms.com/chapters/rest_api.html, including where you can find the swagger docs for your own mayan install. There's also a separate API sub forum here where you'll be able to see the experiences/tips from other users in using the API.

Yes, there is a time limit imposed between posts. This is to help prevent spam on the forum and DOS attacks. I recommend putting comments in a single post rather than spreading them over multiple replies (which also helps people reading the forum)