ACL and sub-cabinets

Requests for new functionality or improvements in existing functionality. Please provide clear descriptions of your request, an example or if possible a real life scenario.
msvabik

ACL and sub-cabinets

Post by msvabik »

Hello,
is it possible to set access rights to cabinets and sub-cabinets?
Thank you for answer,
Michal

rssfed23

Re: ACL and sub-cabinets

Post by rssfed23 »

Cabinets yes (you'll see the ACL section in the all cabinet view) but it's not there for sub-cabinets currently
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

msvabik

Post by msvabik »

It would be very helpful if you could set the acl to a sub-cabinet. :)
Please add this functionality.

rssfed23

Post by rssfed23 »

I think the permissions model and organisation structure recommended by the Mayan team doesn't conclude such an approach.
What we'd be in effect duplicating there is the windows explorer style of folders, which we want to avoid. It can lead to admin overhead, micromanagement and as an environment scales up such an approach can quickly become unmanageable.

A document can be added to multiple cabinets and permissions should be managed there. Creating sub-cabinets (folders) with seperate file permissions feels a bit of an anti pattern to me, especially given the ACLs can already apply for what can be displayed on individual documents/tags/etc.

In other words; permissions should be managed at the cabinet level rather than sub cabinets.
This encourages good cabinet hygiene and makes administration easier in the long run.

I've logged the feature request at https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/747, but to set expectations I don't expect this to be implemented for the above reasons.

However, if this is something important to your organisation then it might be worth considering a Mayan EDMS Support plan or custom consulting agreement. Cabinets/sub cabinets themselves were added as part of a custom consulting agreement and ACLs for sub cabinets could potentially be sponsored in the same way on a consulting agreement (plus a host of other benefits or implementation consulting).
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

msvabik

Post by msvabik »

How then do you want to set permissions for a certain type of document, such as a "contract" and a type of "lease" for certain departments in the company.
The possibility of tree structure in the cabinets then makes no sense.
If the document had not simply inherit permissions from the parent tree, in my very confusing assigning permissions to the document.
Perhaps if she could assign permissions to the document metadata, that would be very interesting.

I apologize for my English. I use google translate ....

rssfed23

Post by rssfed23 »

That's one of the reasons we have different document types - you can assign an ACL for every document type you'd like so that say only "legal" will see the document type "contract". It's in settings > document types then click ACL on the document type you're interested in