Feature Follow-up: Search terms highlighting in docs

Requests for new functionality or improvements in existing functionality. Please provide clear descriptions of your request, an example or if possible a real life scenario.
mwmentor

Feature Follow-up: Search terms highlighting in docs

Post by mwmentor » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi there:

I have recently been evaluating Mayan as a solution to document storage for my agency. It has some great features that I have seen already, and many more that I have yet to find... I am particularly pleased that it is able to OCR/parse content from images as well as PDF's which will be particularly useful in my environment. So great :)

Something that I would really appreciate is being able to see both search terms and phrases highlighted on the pages where they occur. I see that this is planned for a future release, and I wanted to find out what sort of time frame is planned for it? It doesn't need to be specific - a general idea is good.

Thanks so much.
-Michael

rosarior

Re: Feature Follow-up: Search terms highlighting in docs

Post by rosarior » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

At the time Mayan integrated with the Tesseract OCR engine, the hOCR standard was in its infancy. hOCR is now more mature and we are considering moving the code to support that. hOCR recognized text and its position. With the position it will be possible to add search result highlights.

The hOCR implementation will take considerable effort and changes to the data structures. There is no specific timeline for the implementation.

It would be possible to prioritize this if interested parties funded the effort as it would allow us to hire developers for this.

mwmentor

Re: Feature Follow-up: Search terms highlighting in docs

Post by mwmentor » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:48 am

Hi Rosario:

Thanks for letting me know... that sounds fine. Thanks for a great product :)

-Michael