Lookups for metadata

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
crang

Lookups for metadata

Post by crang »

Is it possible or will be in a near future release to add selection lists (combo boxes) to the metadata fields when adding or changing metadata? We are using it in a business setting and multiple people will be entering items such as invoices. I would like them to be able to choose the company from a list instead of typing it each time. We will create inconsistencies and affect the quality of the data. Thanks for your help.
rosarior
Developer
Developer

Re: Lookups for metadata

Post by rosarior »

This is already possible by adding a comma separated list of entries in the 'Lookup' field for the metadata type.
2021-03-19_01-46.png
2021-03-19_01-46.png (93.6 KiB) Viewed 942 times

Adding a lookup list will make the metadata entry show a combo box instead of a text field.
2021-03-19_01-47.png
2021-03-19_01-47.png (35.05 KiB) Viewed 942 times
crang

Post by crang »

Thanks so much for the quick response and reminding me of the ability with a supplied list, however I need the list to be dynamic and driven by the contents of the metadata field. Not a static list. Ideally, it would create a unique list from the values and updated as new values are entered into the field much like other applications with an attached database. If I must create a static list, is there a way to extract the values of the metadata field?
rosarior
Developer
Developer

Post by rosarior »

I misunderstood your question. Yes, metadata value autocompletion based on existing values is a planned feature and has been re-targeted for the next release (4.1): https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/-/issues/428