Browser interface broken after incorrect setting change

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
michel

Browser interface broken after incorrect setting change

Post by michel »

Hi,

Spent last week installing, setting up and populating Mayan for the first time. Today I tried to setup email which worked fine. However, the info in the mail and link to the document were incorrect. Found this topic viewtopic.php?t=1240 and changed accordingly.

This fixed the issue partly (see below) but the link to the document was still incorrect. I then saw another setting in the 'Common' section of Settings. It was at the bottom/last one and said something like 'Document View Path'. It had an empty value ''. I thought, well document view, that's what I want the person I send the mail to to be able to do. Let's give it a try. So I changed that to my host address (because the value below also had a host address part) which was a terrible mistake. Result is that I have no access to Mayan anymore. I get something like 'page not found'. As a result I'm not able to change this setting back to the original null value.

This is a docker-compose install and I spent all evening trying to figure out how to edit a file in a docker-compose container. Unfortunately I didn't succeed. And after that I still need the name/location of the 'Common' yml file to change it back. And after that I still need to figure out the original problem why the doclink is incorrect.

Hope someone at the forum can point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch.

----email contents-----
To access this document click on the following link: https://www.mayan-edms.com/documents/do ... 6/preview/ -------- This email has been sent from Mayan at Boskant (http://<the correct (my) host address>)
michel

Re: Browser interface broken after incorrect setting change

Post by michel »

Hi again,

I found a way into the running mayanedms docker container. But now I need to find the file where the setting is that I changed inadvertently.

Since I cannot remember the setting name and I can't look it up, could someone please go into their settings and tell me what the last setting of the COMMON category is? If I remember correctly it has 7 settings. It was something with 'document', 'view' and 'path'.

With the setting name I may be able to locate the file where it has been defined and change it back to the original null value.

Thanks a bunch.
michel

Post by michel »

Ok, by scanning all settings files I found "./lib/python3.7/site-packages/mayan/apps/common/settings.py" that contains the 7 settings including the ones I changed succesfully (DEFAULT_COMMON_PROJECT_TITLE, DEFAULT_COMMON_PROJECT_URL) before.

The last one is called "DEFAULT_COMMON_URL_BASE_PATH". I used the instructions here: https://docs.mayan-edms.com/chapters/settings.html to override it with: export MAYAN_DEFAULT_COMMON_URL_BASE_PATH="''" (single quotes enclosed in double quotes because single quotes was the original value).
Then stopped/restarted the docker container called mayan_app_1. Unfortunately still no luck. Opening Mayan through browser still causes "Page not found :: Mayan EDMS" in the browser tab title. The browser window is entirely blank, only an error message in Chrome's tab title.

I found a reference to a 'management command' 'revertsettings'. But I have no clue how I can run it. I tried:
- within the container (docker exec -it 4d69 /bin/bash) enter 'revertsettings'
- within the container (docker exec -it 4d69 /bin/bash) enter 'run_command revertsettings'
- outside the docker container: docker exec -it 4d69 revertsettings
- outside the docker container: docker exec -it 4d69 run_command revertsettings

All ended up with 'executable file not found'.

I'm running out of ideas. Please someone give me a clue how to proceed.

Thanks.
michel

Post by michel »

Well, for the sake of anyone else making such an unfortunate mistake.................

Just add MAYAN_COMMON_URL_BASE_PATH: "''" to the environment section of docker-compose.yml. This overrides the value of the variable I changed to some catastrophic value.

If you know how it works it is so simple...............

Cheers...........