How do you logically group different document and file types together to give them context?

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
nem

How do you logically group different document and file types together to give them context?

Post by nem »

Given that I have various document types in Mayan, e.g. sales invoices, bills, orders, shipping notifications, account statements, design specifications, insurance claims etc. that belong to a transaction - how do I group these document and file types as one logical unit. They all belong together but I have not found an apparent way to do this.

Creating a nested cabinet and manually adding the documents seems to be the only option that I found so far. But that seems non-intuitive to me. What are typical solutions to my problems that you've come up with?
rosarior
Developer
Developer

Re: How do you logically group different document and file types together to give them context?

Post by rosarior »

Create metadata that hold the value that binds them together like invoice number, PO number, client ID, etc. Associate that metadata to all pertinent document types.

Then create an index that creates a new level for each value of the metadata:

Code: Select all

{{ document.metadata_value_of.invoice_number }}
and associate that index to the pertinent document types.

Your documents will be grouped together based on the values of the metadata.

Check the creation date index for an additional example.