basic install Q: am I supposed to set a password, if so where?

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
notatall

basic install Q: am I supposed to set a password, if so where?

Post by notatall »

Hello,

In following the most basic instructions, what's the deal with passwords? Do I set them, or not?

If I understand properly, the best place to start is the download page and Docker Compose installation.

In my past experience working with php/mysql applications there was always strong encouragement *not* to leave passwords the default for admin, databases etc.

But I can't seem to find anything about it, and in the YML file where it seems like you'd set it, I am not able to tell what's a variable and what's a value. Nothing in the comments seems to indicate anyone wants me to do anything. Searching the forum I saw somewhere (but I can't find anymore) that the password is automatic, or it change by itself, or something? I couldn't understand it and in my efforts to find clarifying info I have lost the page.

If I am supposed to set a password in the YML file what do I do with the file after I'm done with it? Does it get deleted? I don't like the idea of having passwords in plain text.

This is probably one of these things that's so basic no one ever thought to write it down, because once you learn it, you forget you ever didn't know it.

any clarification appreciated
gtrot

Re: basic install Q: am I supposed to set a password, if so where?

Post by gtrot »

Hi,

New installation generate admin account password that you use on first login. Then you must change it directly in the app, menu "User" -- "Change password".

More info for troubleshooting : https://docs.mayan-edms.com/parts/troub ... words.html

Guillaume