Thanks and some concerns

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
s.powell

Thanks and some concerns

Post by s.powell » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:02 am

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not feel free to delete this.

I really like this project. But that is not the entire reason I'm writing this. I'm writing this because I've gone from liking Mayan, to actually relying on Mayan.

Mayan is one of the most important tools for my business and now that I've started a new venture, of which Mayan is the cornerstone. So I've really gone from "I like this" to "I need this" to "I can't run my business without it!".

While that should be music to the ears of the developers, it strikes the fear of God to an entrepreneur. While Mayan technical excellence is above and beyond the rest (including the commercial offerings), it seems to be struggling financially.

The Kickstarter to raise $720 dollars to add Zone OCR failed. The VM appliance shopping cart disappeared. The same happened to the support service grid, the app store and the professional version shopping cart. Aside from the donation popup, it seems all other means in which Mayan could raise money have been shut down. The download counter is approaching half a million downloads and it was at 400,000 about a month ago. Traction and presence are not the problem, then what is?

This brings me to the crux of my post. I now rely on Mayan for my current business and my next venture. It would help me sleep better knowing the developers are making a good living and won't stop working on Mayan anytime soon. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this situation or sentiment.

Robeto, what you and your team have accomplished is nothing short of a miracle. I can't overstate this. I've used SharePoint, Globodox, Alfresco, Xera, LogicaDocs and others for years. Nothing comes even close to what Mayan offers. Mayan is indeed in its own category. That it was developed by such a small number of people boggles my mind.

I've seen too often how good open source projects fail when they get too big and their user base just continues complaining and asking for more features without putting forward any financial support. I don't want that to happen with Mayan. It is too good, there is nothing like it and sooner or later it will register in the radar of a big company. Look what happened to Java, GitHub, VirtualBox, MySQL, etc. It is rarely the case these projects improve after being acquired. In fact most of them were acquired so they could be destroyed, because they posed a threat to their flagship products.

I fear this scenario and this is why: I got wind from a business associate that works in enterprise document management that they were in talks to acquire Mayan.

I (and I'm sure the rest of the user base) would appreciate any information in this regard.

If money is the issue, please by all means tell us. I would gladly do my part to help Mayan become economically sustainable. I'm not just talking about money but business advice and help.

I would also like to express once again my gratitude for the solution you've created and I call upon the community to do the same. Let's show how much this project means to us and why we don't want to see it in the hands of corporations that would just destroy it.