Versions, workflows and privileges

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
j_arquimbau

Versions, workflows and privileges

Post by j_arquimbau »

Good evening:

I've been quite a few days to study this great piece of software, have bought the book and I'm loving it... I might be posting more queries soon since the complexity of the tasks require to struggle through all the possible settings. Sometimes I'm able to sort the problem out, some others I just can't.

At the moment I'm having an issue with the workflows, the versions and the privileges. I want to implement this piece of software to get rid of paper in my small business and have the Creation -> Review -> Approval workflow performed in the edms by means of transitions and signatures... Up to now everything ok. I've set that certain limited roles cannot see the docs until they are approved by members with another role. So when some document type is uploaded it will have tag 'created' and then there are two transitions to get turn the tag into 'reviewed' and 'approved' (there is also rejected etc., but that doesn't suit the topic at the moment). When it comes to state approved, the doc come then visible to those users with the limited role.

However, whenever a new version of the document is submitted, it would be submitted as approved, even if the review-approval workflow hasn't been performed yet. To avoid this I set an automatic transition so the doc would be hidden again from those users with limited role. The thing is that ideally the former version (that would still be in force until the new version is approved through the review-approval workflow is again performed) should still be available to everyone until the latter one would be approved, but I haven't been able to do this.

Is there anyway to perform this? Am I misunderstanding the concepts?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!

aaribaud

Re: Versions, workflows and privileges

Post by aaribaud »

Hi,

I don't kow if you're misunderstanding the concepts, but at least I am misunderstanding just like you are :)

I would sum up my problem as:

- currently, a tag applies to a document, whereas I would like it to apply to a document version (e.g., only version 20 has tag "applicable", version 15 has tag "obsolete", version 7 has tag "inapplicable")

- a workflow applies to a document version, whereas I would like it to apply to a document version.

Is this also what you are looking for?

If so, then maybe we could start a feature request thread?

j_arquimbau

Re: Versions, workflows and privileges

Post by j_arquimbau »

Yes! You summarised it perfectly. Being able to perform workflows and tags on the basis of document versions would be just great. I was wondering if this was possible at the moment.

Thank you! I might then start the threat in resquests!