Docker method installation problem

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
technoboi

Docker method installation problem

Post by technoboi »

I'm trying this first in an LXC container based on Ubuntu 18.04
All installation under root.
Docker version 18.09.7, build 2d0083d

Following this procedure for installation:
https://docs.mayan-edms.com/chapters/do ... imple.html
(Thus: image for mayanedms/mayanedms:3.3.13, image for postgres:9.6-alpine, image for redis:5.0-alpine)
All goes perfectly UP TO section 5.

After I run (5) I get and error, and, not being experienced with Docker, I don't know how to interpret it.

----
docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:345: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:430: container init caused \"rootfs_linux.go:58: mounting \\\"proc\\\" to rootfs \\\"/var/lib/docker/vfs/dir/97ef7293910ec83e917f25221d83abef940f29ecbe9c6cc59a59ea55e782552e\\\" at \\\"/proc\\\" caused \\\"permission denied\\\"\"": unknown
----
I've seen references to a similar error but not found any specific help.

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Thanks.

rssfed23

Re: Docker method installation problem

Post by rssfed23 »

You're trying to run Docker inside of LXC - so a container inside of a container. This is a very bad idea for multiple reasons, primarily security ones.

Although it's possible to run docker inside of LXC, this is out of scope of the Mayan team to provide guidance on. Running docker inside of LXC is the root cause of your issue here. Please use the direct install method instead if you want to run Mayan inside a LXC container or alternatively run docker directly on the LXC host rather than inside a LXC container.
Please bear with us during the current global situation. The team all have families and local communities to look after as well as the community here. Responses may be delayed during this time, but rest assured we will get to your query eventually.

Jagosix

Post by Jagosix »

I hear ya dude. I've had a headache getting it to run on some versions of linux. However you might want to try this method.
Mayan EDMS Installation under docker for linux
I did this in Lubuntu 18.04

Goto command prompt or terminal as root or use sudo
Keep in mind this is from a fresh installation.
Also you might have to sudo apt install some file if you get a few "file not found errors"

Now run these file in this order.
sudo curl -fsSL get.mayan-edms.com -o get-mayan-edms.sh
sudo docker pull mayanedms/mayanedms:3.3.15
sudo docker pull postgres:9.6-alpine
sudo docker pull redis:5.0-alpine

sh get-mayan-edms.sh

After that everything should run fine. :)

rssfed23

Post by rssfed23 »

The original poster is trying to run docker inside of LXC. Jagosix, those instructions will not work for the user, because without changing the config of the lxc container itself they won't be able to get docker running correctly.

In essence, they're trying to a container within a container. The install script will not work with this type of architecture.

LXC can be a pain to get docker working reliably inside of, which is why many lxc developers advise against it. If you're running unprivileged lxc containers you ironically create huge security risks by even trying to do it (doing it with privileged lxc containers is safer in that regard).
Please bear with us during the current global situation. The team all have families and local communities to look after as well as the community here. Responses may be delayed during this time, but rest assured we will get to your query eventually.