3.3.8: Old documentation links will no longer work

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
rssfed23

3.3.8: Old documentation links will no longer work

Post by rssfed23 »

Mayan EDMS Community,

We wanted to give you advance notice that with the release of 3.3.8 - which will happen over the next few days/weeks - we will release a change that will ensure old versions of the documentation that are cached on the official Documentation Site will be removed.

We're doing this because users are occasionally running into issues for new deployments by coming across an old documentation link somewhere on the forum or online. Also, more than a couple of pages contained content that no longer functions on the current version of Mayan (such as LDAP).

This of course isn't a great experience for anyone, so from 3.3.8 onwards the documentation site will be purged with every release and the version of documentation for that version will be uploaded. This will ensure users always get the most up to date and functional documentation available.

Over the last few days I've been updating the documentation where we only had an old version of that page available (S3 Object Storage is a good example).
I've also been going through old forum posts and updating links/pointing users in the right direction where an old link is being used or providing updated instructions where appropriate.

I will continue to do this going forward, but I'm sure some will slip through the gaps. As such, if you follow a link on an old forum post or a bookmark you had saved and hit a 404 Not Found error on the documentation please go to the Documentation Home Page and search for the topic you're trying to find and update your bookmark.

If you come across a piece of documentation you require that seems to have disappeared and you can't find the new page, then don't hesitate to reply to this post with the details and I'll ensure it's updated and added back as soon as possible.

To be clear; this won't impact any pieces of current documentation, only older pages where that piece of documentation likely wouldn't work if it was followed anyway.

If you're wondering where you can find archived documentation, that is all located in Gitlab , and you can always find a point in time snapshot by changing the tag (white box with "master" written in it up the top) to the version you require.

I also wanted to remind people that we recently launched the Guides forum. This will be a proving ground for future pieces of documentation for the community here to test out before we move it across to the official documentation site, and for topics not suitable for enterprise deployments.

Thank you all for your patience during this improvement.
There are a lot of exciting things happening with Mayan EDMS in 2020, and the team can't wait to share more in due course.

Many thanks,
Rob
Please bear with us during the current global situation. The team all have families and local communities to look after as well as the community here. Responses may be delayed during this time, but rest assured we will get to your query eventually.