Migration from Alfresco to Mayan

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
paradoxguitarist

Migration from Alfresco to Mayan

Post by paradoxguitarist »

I wasn't really sure if I should put this in deployments or general, but here goes.

We're looking into transitioning away from alfresco for reasons. This seems like a great alternative, but I wanted to try to figure out what would be the best way to import all our documents (around 2.5 terabytes) with the meta-data (and preferably storage structure) intact.

It looked like the best way might be to leverage the API, but I wasn't totally sure and thought I'd ask for some opinions. Thanks!

rosarior
Developer
Developer

Re: Migration from Alfresco to Mayan

Post by rosarior »

Hi,

The API is good for low volume transactions. For migrations in the terabytes, a specialized module or utility that accesses the database models or the builtin background upload tasks is recommended.

Since we just started doing multi million document migrations recently, we create the migration code for each installation. This is custom development under a consulting and support contract (https://www.mayan-edms.com/support/). The migration is done on-site for best results and speed. Here is an example of a multi million page migration from AppXtender to Mayan (https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/collaborations/).

The goal is to create an universal migration tool as we continue to do more migrations and gather more information.

We haven't done any migrations from Alfresco at the moment, so we can't provide any case studies yet.

paradoxguitarist

Re: Migration from Alfresco to Mayan

Post by paradoxguitarist »

Thanks! It's good to know, I had been looking at support contracts, and it seems very feasible compared to what we're paying now. I'm gonna have to wait to find out how terrible they are at honouring their current "Enterprise Support" but if things don't change soon, we'll definitely be looking for alternative products, and this project is at the top of my list of hopefuls. Thanks again!