Hide a metadata field from general users

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
rduz

Hide a metadata field from general users

Post by rduz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi,

Build number: v3.2.7_Wed Aug 28 17:31:08 2019 -0400

I am using a script to load some documents and I have a foreign database key assigned to a metadata field. I would prefer if the users did not have to see this field, and I certainly don't want them to change it. I've been attempting to use the permisson system to do implement such a scheme, which I initially thought would be easily supported, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Things I've tried:
I've removed the document metadata permissions from the general user role. Specifically the Add, Edit, Remove and View metadata are not granted permissons to the role. I find that the test user can still see all the metadata in the 'all documents' thumbnail view.

I then edited the ACL for one of the metadata fields and removed the general user role from the metadata field entirely.

Neither action made any difference as the test user can still see all metadata.

I've got the book and I've been reading all I can on the web, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to actually get the permissions to do as I think they should.

Is there an example of:
restrict access to documents with a certain tag(s) to certain groups of users.
restrict access to documents with a certain document type to certain groups of users.
restrict access to metadata, in my case, I just want to hide one field from a certain group of users.