More Introduction needed after reading the Book

Questions, comments, discussions. Over time certain topics might be moved to their own category.
elmcrest

More Introduction needed after reading the Book

Post by elmcrest » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:42 am

Hey everybody,

so, I've purchased the book I still need some more guidance how to properly use MayanEDMS.

there are several Questions and somehow also like the philosophy of MayanEDMS so I think it would make sense if anyone would be willing to give me a presentation via remote desktop for example?

I understand that this *is* a consulting service so I would be willing to pay some money for it. Maybe though, since I'm a Django Developer aswell, somehow would help me for "the benefits of the project" :) (If you want to have a look at my main project, here it is github.com/systori/systori)

Anyways, if there is already more documentation available and (up-to-date) Videos, I'd be happy to consume.

Another Idea might be, I'll create a new Video once I've understood all parts and make it available (YouTube I guess).

Any help and comments are appreciated of course :)

Thx,
Marius

Greetings from Germany :)

elmcrest

Re: More Introduction needed after reading the Book

Post by elmcrest » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:34 pm

ok, probably I should ask more specific questions :)

1. Is there a way to have a screen which allows me to see a document and the form to enter metadata side by side? for uploading only digitally available documents this would be needed.

2. can I use "dumb" links compared to smart links? Like I just want to link two documents which are somehow related in a more special way ...

3. can I setup reminders for a document - let's say a smartphone contract which has a date when it's possible to cancel it? (we have usually 24 months here so you need to remind yourself to cancel it on time or it will renew with 12 months)

thx in advance

rosarior

Re: More Introduction needed after reading the Book

Post by rosarior » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi,
1. Is there a way to have a screen which allows me to see a document and the form to enter metadata side by side? for uploading only digitally available documents this would be needed.
This is something that comes up often. Mayan is constrained by Django's upload wizard and HTTP's limitation when it comes to file and data in a POST request. The other issue is user interface design. Read more at the issue entry: https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/6

Until a new member joins the core team with extensive knowledge and experience on client side application and is willing to put the time to rewrite the entire upload flow (frontend, backend, API), it is unlikely that this will change.
2. can I use "dumb" links compared to smart links? Like I just want to link two documents which are somehow related in a more special way ...
We have this on the roadmap. The user interface and the flow design are blocking the development of the feature. How will documents be selected? From the document's view or from the document list view. If done from the document view we would need autocomplete search which is not done yet. Another idea is to implement a clipboard to carry around the document references. If we go with the clipboard, we haven't decided if it will be implemented in the backend as a model or in the session, or in the frontend using JavaScript. Each possibility has drawbacks.
3. can I setup reminders for a document - let's say a smartphone contract which has a date when it's possible to cancel it? (we have usually 24 months here so you need to remind yourself to cancel it on time or it will renew with 12 months.
At the moment it is not possible, and I don't think it would be implement in that exact way as it is very application specific.