How to Test Mayan Deployment on Windows 8 (3.3.x)

Community contributed guides or tutorials for multiple topics like installations for other operating systems or platforms, monitoring, log aggregation, etc.
maathieu

How to Test Mayan Deployment on Windows 8 (3.3.x)

Post by maathieu »

Hello,

Since I ran into several issues - and managed to solve them! - while trying to install Mayan for testing purposes on my work's Windows 8 box, I thought I'd share what I learnt from the experience.

1. Installing Docker on Windows 8

I needed to install a legacy version of Docker known as "docker-toolbox". It is available here: https://github.com/docker/toolbox/releases

The installer will offer a list of optional install dependencies, one of them being "Git for Windows". Leave Git For Windows checked (even if you already have Git for Windows installed? - not tested), otherwise you will not be able to use the Docker Quickstart Terminal because it requires bash.exe provided by Git for Windows.

All the commands listed in the Mayan Documentation must be input into the Docker Quickstart Terminal window.

2. Preparing the virtual machine

Before attempting the installation of Mayan following the commands listed in the documentation you need to set up properly your virtual machine in Oracle VM VirtualBox, that has been installed when you installed Docker-toolbox.

Launch the program Oracle VM Virtualbox from your Desktop or start menu. You should have a "default" machine in there. Click on configuration to show up the config menu...

a. Set up data + staging/watch folders

Click on the "Shared Folders" icon and add your shared folders in the list (remove the default "c:\users" share, why is it even there?). Add them as "automount" folders with full access and as a permanent configuration. Give them a short, meaningful name ex. mayan-media for your host's c:\mayan-edms\media.

Afterwards in the installation process you will refer to these folders as the name you gave them during this stage.

b. Set up Network port forwarding

In order to be able to access your Mayan installation from your web browser you need to forward an extra port on the VM. Click on the "Network" icon, select "Card 1", that should be with network access mode "NAT", and click on "Advanced": there is a "Port forwarding" button at the bottom. Go in there and add a new port named "Mayan Web server" for host IP 127.0.0.1 and port 80, forwarding port 80 on the guest, leave "guest IP" blank.

c. Shut down and restart the VM

Once this is done, leave the configuration window, and shut down and restart your docker VM by using right mouse button on the "default" virtual machine (I had trouble getting the configuration updated by using the "Restart" item, so do a full shutdown, but your experience may be different).

3. Installation instructions modifications

You can then follow the standard installation instructions here with the following exception:

Skip step 1
(as you installed manually Docker earlier).

You need to change the docker run -d --name mayan-edms ... installation command to reflect the name of the disk share like this:

Code: Select all

docker run \
-d \
--name mayan-edms \
--restart=always \
-p 80:8000 \
-e MAYAN_DATABASES="{'default':{'ENGINE':'django.db.backends.postgresql','NAME':'mayan','PASSWORD':'mayanuserpass','USER':'mayan','HOST':'172.17.0.1'}}" \
-e MAYAN_CELERY_BROKER_URL="redis://172.17.0.1:6379/0" \
-e MAYAN_CELERY_RESULT_BACKEND="redis://172.17.0.1:6379/1" \
-v /mayan-media:/var/lib/mayan \
mayanedms/mayanedms:3.3.6
(note: -v /mayan-media where mayan-media is the name of the share you defined earlier in Oracle VM Virtualbox, preceded by a / as this specific flavour of VirtualBox seems to create mount points at the root of the filesystem and not under /media like it should be doing if it was following its own documentation.)

4. Conclusion

Use docker logs mayan-edms to check the installation progress. When everything is settled, you should be able to access your installation by using http://localhost/ :)
Last edited by rssfed23 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

rssfed23

Re: Mayan 3.3.6 - Howto - test deployment on Windows 8

Post by rssfed23 »

Thanks for sharing this! - I'm sure there's others out there that are still on Windows 8 and this will help them test Mayan out
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

maathieu

Post by maathieu »

Maybe this should be moved to the "Guide" section?

rssfed23

Post by rssfed23 »

maathieu wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:13 am
Maybe this should be moved to the "Guide" section?
Done! - the guides section was only created a few hours ago for precisely posts like this :)
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.