Mayan eDMS sandbox: VMware + CentOS + Docker

Reverse proxies, SSL termination, web servers.
tabunon

Mayan eDMS sandbox: VMware + CentOS + Docker

Post by tabunon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm

Hello,

I'm testing Mayan on a sandbox VM. I'm using VMware Player (Windows version) to host/run CentOS with Mayan EDMS container in it.

I have followed the steps to run Mayan EDMS from the e-book I've purchased and managed to "run" Mayan on the VM.
mayan.PNG
mayan.PNG (6.72 KiB) Viewed 108 times

However, I got stuck accessing the Mayan EDMS via the browser.

I tried accessing Mayan EDMS via the IP address of the CentOS VM but to no avail. Checking from the previous image, there's no IP address assigned to the Mayan container. I've opened HTTP service on CentOS but no sign of Mayan eDMS on the browser.

I'm pretty new with Docker and I'm hoping anybody could help with networking perspective of it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

aaribaud

Re: Mayan eDMS sandbox: VMware + CentOS + Docker

Post by aaribaud » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi,

What is the exact command line you ran to launch the Mayan container? That's where you can map a container's ports to its host's (the CentOS guest's) ports. That's the -p option in a 'docker run' command.

tabunon

Post by tabunon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Hello aaribaud,

I followed this from the e-book:
mayan.PNG
mayan.PNG (163.66 KiB) Viewed 103 times
No specific IP address is indicated :-/

aaribaud

Post by aaribaud » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:51 pm

The second docker run command says -p 80:8000, so your CentOS guest should be listening on its own port 8000 and forwarding that to your docker container's port 80.

Is the CentOS guest a desktop install, with a graphical login and browser? If so, you should be able to view the Mayan server at localhost:8000 *from the CentOS guest*.

If the CentOS guest is non-graphical, then you have to visit from your Windows host, which means you must configure your VMWare VM to forward one of your Windows host's ports (say, 9000) to your CentOS guest's port 8000. Then you'll be visit localhost:9000 from a browser in your Windows host; that'll be forwarded to your CentOS guest's port 8000, which will in turn be forwarded to your docker container's port 80 (phew!).