Backblaze B2

Technical aspects, customization, code samples.
michaelruge

Backblaze B2

Post by michaelruge »

Hi,

I stumbled across this post (https://github.com/jschneier/django-storages/issues/765) and was wondering if this was possible to implement with Mayan EDMS like Amazon S3 is? It uses the django-storage apache-libcloud module.

I am by no means a coder and while it doesn't look that hard, it did successfully stump me.

I am a huge fan of the pricing structure with B2 and this would just make my day if it possible to implement.

Thanks!

rssfed23

Re: Backblaze B2

Post by rssfed23 »

In theory anything that Django-storages supports could potentially be made to work with Mayan. It's all a matter of figuring out the right backend to use and right variables to pass into said backend.

Someones already provided the settings you might need in the pull request. If you look at the S3 support page and see how the settings are configured there you should be able to adapt the values to what's in that PR. You need to ignore the defailt_file_storage and media_url parts though as mayan has separate environment variables for those as you can see in the s3 storage guide.
No guarantees it will work though, but you're welcome to try.

There are no plans for additional storage drivers beyond S3 at this time. We've provided the documentation above as a more concrete example for people to use with other Django storages backends.
The only way really to get something like B2 on the priority list would be if the request comes in from our Support Plan, where as part of a consulting agreement we could potentially produce the integration/documentation as part of a custom consulting agreement.

If I'm being honest, we're more likely to see Azure Blob Storage support first long before something like BackBlaze. This boils down mainly to the potential number of users/customers that could benefit but also due to the growing enterprise demand for Azure storage which far exceeds B2, which tends to be more popular with home users/hobbyists than with the customers we speak to.

Of course if the market changes and B2 suddenly becomes the number 1 object storage API then we would reassess this and adjust accordingly, but I want to be honest and realistic with you here; you won't see official B2 support unless an enterprise customer asks for it or if someone from the community works on it. If someone here does find a way then I'll happily move it to the Guides section and then once proven we can add it to the official documentation.

Hope this helps clarify. This applies not just to B2 of course but other storage backends as well.
Please don't PM for general support; start a new thread with your issue instead.

michaelruge

Re: Backblaze B2

Post by michaelruge »

Thanks for the info. Somehow I missed the Object Storage guide in the docs. I will look more into it.