Use workflow to add file to existing document

We are scanning in old invoices. They are physically stored two different ways. One by Invoice Number and the other by Serial Number. We need both sets to be scanned into the same document.

I’m concerned about an invoice copy being missed on occasion. That will require it to be scanned in at a later date. But the user might not know they are scanning in a second copy of the invoice, and process it like a new scan.

Is there a way in workflows to add the scan as a page to an existing document? Specifically based on the Meta Data Field, InvoiceNumber already existing?

Thanks

1 Like

I’m not 100% certain I understand the process. Can you provide more details or fictional examples?

Please correct my understandings below:

We are scanning in old invoices. They are physically stored two different ways. One by Invoice Number and the other by Serial Number.

One invoice can be stored by invoice number AND serial number, or is it the other way, that the invoice is stored either by invoice number OR serial number but not both?

We need both sets to be scanned into the same document.

You are appending multiple invoices as part of a larger, single document?

I’m concerned about an invoice copy being missed on occasion. That will require it to be scanned in at a later date. But the user might not know they are scanning in a second copy of the invoice, and process it like a new scan.

You want to prevent a duplicate append invoice?

Is there a way in workflows to add the scan as a page to an existing document? Specifically based on the Meta Data Field, InvoiceNumber already existing?

There is no action to append a document to an existing one. We’ll discuss if this is possible and see if it can be added in a future version.

An alternative would be to have a workflow check if the new document’s invoice number already exists and delete the document, even send a message to a user notifying the case. This won’t automate the appending but will prevent duplicated invoices.

We store by BOTH Invoice AND Serial Number. So that the Invoice can be found be either number.

The User will be scanning different copies of the Invoice in a single document. Quite often their are hand written notes on one copy and not the other.

I want the user to add the scan as an additional file to the existing document. I know they can
manually do that now. But I’m concerned about cases where they don’t check if that Invoice Document already exists.

It sounds like our best option at the moment is to send a message to the user, that the Invoice Number already exists.

Thank you for your help