Mayan (docker) upgrade procedure when using external database

As discussed in this linked contribution
[https://forum.mayan-edms.com/t/docker-upgrader-major-version-with-external-postgresql/2223]
it would be very helpful to have a more complete procedure for upgrading mayan docker installation when an external postgres database server is used.

For me, there are still points of doubt:

• when doing any upgrade of mayan (minor, major, not postgresql version!), which steps have to be carried out to ensure database structure changes are made by the docker installation of mayan.
  • is it just enough to make the database backup on system side for save the status
  • remove the backup section in compose.yml and run docker - which means not to follow the general mayan upgrade instructions for docker installation?
  • when doing any upgrade of mayan (minor, major, not postgresql version!), which steps have to be carried out to ensure database structure changes are made by the docker installation of mayan.

Nothing special, just launch the new version, Mayan takes care of updating the database structures. Any Django app does, the feature is called “Migrations”: Migrations | Django documentation | Django

• is it just enough to make the database backup on system side for save the status

Yes. And the document files just in case (but 99.9% you will not need this).

• remove the backup section in compose.yml and run docker - which means not to follow the general mayan upgrade instructions for docker installation?

You don’t need to make any changes to the compose file when upgrading. The Mayan compose file is smart enough to only launch the services you need.

At least, the last statement was not true for me when doing the last upgrade, as described in the linked discussion.
When the database-backup section was in the compose.yml, then I got an error!